Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TWP making me pay

Posted by rajersey (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 12:21

We just moved in to a Central Jersey town 2 months ago from mid-west. There is an open drainage for rain water in front of our house and the twp won't fix it. First we've approached the twp officials and then the mayor about the problem. They have been very stubborn in not fixing unless we chip in part of the expenses even though it's located on the twp property. We can't blame the seller since he's failed in his own attempts. Has anyone faced situations like this? If so, how did you make the twp do it? Is there anything we can do legally?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TWP making me pay

What is twp? and if it is not located on your propery and is a health concern, contact the EPA. But not being familiar with NJ laws and hearing some unhealthy comments about part of that state, I would be careful.

o

The OP probably means "township." I can't visualize what he/she means, though. Is it some kind of drainage ditch or detention pond?

o

"There is an open drainage for rain water in front of our house and the twp won't fix it. "

Are you talking about a grated storm drain?

o

I'm envisioning a culvert or ditch runing along the roadway in front of your property.

Technically, only an enclosed tunnel under a road or your driveway would be classified as a culvert, and a cutting next to a road would be a ditch.

What is the problem needing to be fixed - silted up, weeded up, a boggy bug infested nuisance, water overflows and doesn't drain away? I'm guessing even though the township has easement rights, etc., any fix would result in your being assessed for cost/part of cost for any repair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here