Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kemmc23_gw

inspection report...replace flashings?

kemmc23
10 years ago

We received an offer on our home and they wanted a home inspection which I assumed. The report came back with a ton of things (most really ridiculous) but the buyers want just a few things addressed. One is to replace the flashings on the roof. The house is 10 years old. I have had no leaks. Is this normal? I am trying to figure out what to do. They want to close quickly and I am unsure if I should agree to fix. The other issue I agree needs to be fixed. Any thoughts? I would hate to say no and they change their mind, but I am limited on time and don't have any clue on how much it would cost.

Comments (8)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Can you get info from them on what the issue is with the flashing?

You could try to negotiate any of the below:

1. Fix what they requested
    2. Say you fix one item you agree with and not the flashing as you have no issues.
    3. Fix the one item you agree with and offer a credit towards the flashing. Ie you either take money of the purchase price, or you offer a credit at closing. Either way to you it is the same amount off, but a credit is just an addendum to the contract, vs. re-writing the purchase price.

• rrah
    10 years ago

It's difficult to advise if you should agree to fix it without knowing why they made this request. If could be needed, despite the age of the roof, or it could be recommended, and the buyer wants it done now.

• kemmc23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The report said the flashings were starting to crack and deteriorate and need to be serviced.

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Cheaper than a new roof, and less hassle than waiting for a new sale. Once you are aware of the problem, you must disclose. You could have your own inspection done and see what your roofer says. Are you willing to possibly loose the sale ?

• sharon68
    10 years ago

Flashings aren't a big deal. You should have them replaced every 10 years or so as part of roof upkeep. They are the metal piece that goes along certain edges where the roof meets brick or siding. Changing the flashings should be a few hundred dollars. I'd have it done rather than giving a credit as the buyers may overestimate what it would cost.

• kemmc23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know its an easy fix! I wouldn't want to lose the sale for this!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Since you appear not to know where to start, as your REA for a roofing recommendation. Or, find a few roofers in the area that could come out on short order for an estimate and replacement of your flashing.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I would get a quote or two and give them the money so they can repair the flashing themselves. It takes you out of the loop if there is an issue with the repair.

In my state you used to be able exchange checks at closing for items. For instance, during one closing our HOA fee was not pro rated properly so the buyers wrote us a separate check. Ask your agent it will be okay.

This post was edited by deee on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:31