Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Why is it so hard to find a lot in town?

TxMarti
14 years ago

Not just any lot, but a lot to build on. Other than lots for sale by builders, who you HAVE to use to build the house, we haven't found any decent lots in town. We don't want a house built from 1 of 20 of their plans and we don't want a house built by someone in a hurry.

Comments (14)

• guvnah
    14 years ago

Hi marti8a!

Where you looking - Waxa? If I see anything I'll let you know.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Marti, I'll be happy to send you a list if you'll send me your email;
    I know I had it at one time, but...

• lyfia
    14 years ago

Although not successful what we did when we couldn't find one that suited us was drive by and look up the owners on the tax record and sent them letters basically saying we were looking to buy a lot in town and to contact us if they were interested in selling.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL lyfia, I've spent the morning looking at the county tax website.

Guvnah, yes, I am looking for a small lot with just enough front yard for a parking pad or circle driveway and flowers, and pond and veggie garden in the back. I was thinking zero lot line, but after looking at a few, and living out of town for so many years, I just don't think I can live that close to a neighbor.

Sylvia, if you don't get my email, shoot me one through my profile here.

• chisue
    14 years ago

We found our lot under an existing house, which we tore down! LOL Don't look only at vacant property.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been looking at tear downs too, or cheap-enough-to-gut, but those don't seem to be in a part of town I want.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

hahahahahahahahahaa!

For those of you/us who don't know, Marti lives on the outskirts of a historic town where there's no such thing as a teardown;
    the worse the house, the more desireable it is as a renovation project!

I got you set up on an automatic notification program, Marti, you'll be getting new lot listings as they come up.

• chisue
    14 years ago

It's not easy to find something you can tear down where we live either. (30 miles north of Chicago along Lake Michigan.) Took us two years to find the lot we wanted in the neighborhood we wanted in the town we wanted. Then we had to deal with a peculiar seller and the Council of Fools (what DH calles the BRB here -- and he is right). Guess Marti is in for a similar ride! Hang in there!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sylvia. Oh boy chisue, I hope it's not that bad. We've got time I guess since we don't really have a reason to move, other than I'm just tired of taking care of so much yard.

• guvnah
    14 years ago

It sure seems like I saw a FSBO lot recently cutting thru somewhere in town. Didn't pay attention at the time. If I see anything, I'll let you know.

If you were still wanting country + I seem to remember you wanting a MIL suite at one point, there's a house w/ sm. guest house on the market down the street from me but it's 6 acres (heavily wooded though.....).

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

Though I'm not in your area I can tell you where I found lots, sizeable lots in the Triangle region of NC. When a subdivision would be pretty much sold, all lots developed there would be a couple of lots left over that either didn't perk for a standard 4 bedroom, 3 bath home or had some other oddity like an easement that caused them to never be built on. Someone came along and grouped those orphan lots together and put them on the market. In some cases neighborhoods were over 10 years old. In all of the ones I saw it took that many years for empty lots to be consolidated into one large lot. I don't know why the owners didn't work this deal through earlier but I found numerous multi-acre parcels within the city limits at very affordable prices. I also found that after all that time the HOA rules were relaxed and I wouldn't be required to build a monster home that I don't need in order to live there.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    14 years ago

guvnah, my in-laws decided to move to a senior apartment complex in town, so the in-law plan is no longer needed. We'll probably stay here for a little longer, but I have gotten to the point that taking care of the yard is just too much (it's an acre) and I would love to be in town where things are closer and I don't have to spend hours out in the yard for it to look good. I want just enough lot for a small house, flowers in front, and pond and veggie garden in back. I haven't felt good this summer and the yard/garden went to weed fast.

• guvnah
    14 years ago

Glad the in-law's found a place they like! I know - taking care of the yard in this heat is not fun. I will try to remember where I think I saw a lot FSBO. It would have been in one of the older sections as I never drive thru the newer subdivisions - but who knows when or where. Like you, living out of town, I'm usually on a "mission" when I head into town & only sort of pay attention to my surroundings....

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guvnah. I'll try driving through some older areas the next time I go downtown.