Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

House hunting - modular/manufactured

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

The Realtors in TN seem to interchange these types of housing and I know some that are called modular are actually manufactured homes.

I don't want a manufactured home. A modular would be just fine since it is stick built. How do I tell the difference when looking at homes without tearing out a piece of the wall? (no, I really wouldn't do that.)

Comments (5)

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

Manufactured homes are supported by metal rails going down the middle. Modular homes have perimeter foundations. I have seen a manufactured home with a perimeter "foundation" added. If you look under that home, it still has the metal rails running down the middle.

• rrah
    9 years ago

Manufactured homes typically need to be titled, like a car, in my state. They will also have a metal data plate on the outside of the home and some information on the inside of the home. The link below tells you where to look.

Every manufactured home I've been in has had walls made of some material other than gypsum. It often looks like a wallpaper type of paneling. It's pretty easy to tell by looking at it. You will also notice small connecting pieces for this paneling between the sections.

You might also notice the type and model of furnace in the home. Manufactured homes use specific furnace models made for use in a manufactured home.

Manufactured homes can have a permanent foundation. It's required for some loan types. The foundation is not necessarily an indicator of a manufactured versus modular home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manufactured Plates

• new-beginning
    9 years ago

actually, my grandson lives in a double wide manufactured home with sheetrock walls (painted - not vinyl overlay). and no 'strips' or connecting pieces.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

A manufactured home is a trailer. A mobile home. It might be very nice, but that doesn't change what it is. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but that's what it is, and that means it will never has as much resale value as a stick built home.

A modular, on the other hand, can and should have the same value.

• folkvictorian
    9 years ago

Some friends of mine live in a two-story modular home. I had no idea it wasn't stick-built at the site; it looks exactly like it was fully built there and has a full foundation, 2-car tuck-under garage, walk-out basement, etc. etc. The thing that they showed me that gives it away is the 8" thick interior walls where the individual modules are joined up. So, their living room and their kitchen/dining room are side by side with a big archway through the wall in between the two areas. However, the wall between the two rooms is 8" thick because it includes the 4" wall surrounding the living room / front door / stairway module and the 4" kitchen / dining room module.