Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smc0904

Refrigerator included with house sale and now...

SMC0904
9 years ago

it's not working. We have signed a purchase and sales agreement and included on it was the refrigerator. It stopped working this past weekend so we had someone come out and look at it and they quoted us $550 to get it fixed. I really don't want to spend the $550....what are my options?

Comments (6)

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Did you close on the home? It's now yours?

Buy a new fridge, don't repair the old one.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Oddly, the same thing happened to us as buyers. The seller had come back to the state to pack and remove her staging pieces, sign final papers and stayed in the house. Her last morning before leaving again awoke to warm 6 yr old Amana.

Cost to repair the failed compressor, $550. She offered the repair and billed to her, or a check of the same amount towards the $2100 for the same model replacement cost - stating she wanted to be fair as she had sold a house with a functioning refrigerator.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Reading your post again, I'm not clear if you are the buyer or the seller, and at which point you are in closing. Which side of the sale has the refrigerator quit functioning, as you are preparing to finalize the sale, or immediately after you bought or sold the house?

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry i did not make it clear but I am the seller. We are set to close in a month. I do have a second refrigerator (in the basement) to use but it would be convenient to have this one fixed so that we have the refrigerator in the kitchen is available for use this next month. I guess the alternative is offering the buyer a credit for the same amount and not getting it fixed. It's a 10 year old refrigerator which is in great condition otherwise. Just like you Morz8 the compressor went.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

To keep things simple, I'd probably just get it fixed (and I think you do have that responsibility, just like you'd need to fix a window if your kid threw a ball through it this week). It's not going to cost you any less to do the "buyer credit" thing, and will just be more complicated. Not to mention the convenience of your actually having a fridge for the next month!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

As the seller ... you have to deliver the house with a working refrigerator of that model at closing. If it were to explode in flames a day after closing ... not your problem.

Can you find a used one of that model? Usually you can get a 30-day warranty, delivery and the old one hauled away (to be fixed and sold).