Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix it or not? How to decide

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 9:39

Below is a link to a Houzz article that gives some great advice on what to take into consideration when deciding what/if to fix in a house to be sold.

Also, check out the other related links that will pop up (e.g. low cost fixes, what to do when showing a house, etc.)

Here is a link that might be useful: prepping for sale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix it or not? How to decide

Good advice. Amazes me how Houzz has all those beautiful photos. Nobody I know has rooms that look like that!

o

Good tips to get someone started. SO much depends, not on HGTV's skewed perception of the buying pool out there, but upon what is actually happening in your own neighborhood. Very often, in certain areas of the country, all you need to do is fix up an area so that it's no longer "embarrassing" for buyers and is something that they can live with until they can save for an upgrade.

I follow Zillow closely in the Midwest here and have noticed a lot of buyers to be what I consider to be wasting money putting lipstick on a pig. They have obviously bought new stainless appliances and put in granite and the effect is less than stunning against orange oak cabinets. Especially ones where you can see wear and tear, even in the pictures. HGTV tends to skew the perception of a lot of sellers and Realtors even, thinking that there are "easy fixes" when, in fact, it's a lot more intuitive that that. It's price range, comps, area of the country, lifestyle (you may "need" a pool in Florida, but it can be a handicap for a seller in the Midwest), demographics of your buying pool etc.

o

In my area, very obviously staged properties with purely cosmetic fixes command top money. Recent example: Beautiful gray walls, expensive furniture, marble kitchen counters, the typical decorator look, but poorly painted white kitchen cabs, a dysfunctional "barrier island", powder room right next to the living room, old windows and roof that leaked within the first six months after purchase. House sold quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here