Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Square footage and bank apprasials

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 9, 09 at 0:58

I have my house listed almost 2 months. I'm confused about comps vs. price per sq. footage. The way I understand it, houses are listed by price for sq ft. If a house sells for a higher amount, it raises the price per sq. ft. Bank appraisals are based on that price. If an accepted offer is for a higher amount, the bank may not appraise at that amount.

My confusion is, what is the point of a listing price if it is above the current price per sq ft? It appears that you must price your house accordingly or your house won't appraise.

There is a large volume of homes for sale. Sellers are dropping their prices as many are desperate to sell. Those houses are selling but houses in the higher bracket are selling more slowly. The sale of the lower priced homes are dictating the price per sq ft.

The price per sq. ft is based on an average of houses sold. Lower priced houses are selling faster. They are lowering the price per sq. ft. So, it seems it doesn't matter how good your house it, a buyer can only get a mortgage based on appraisal which is based on price per sq. ft.

This seems unfair to me as a seller.

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Square footage and bank apprasials

Price per square foot is used to adjust between comps, not as the sole basis of an appraisal.

It is more like a small adjustment, 10% more square feet could justify a price adjustment (often less than 10%).

It also gives some confidence to an appraisal if the per square foot price is in line with recent sales in the same area.

Commercial work lives and dies by the square foot.

o

I guess I need Real Estate education. I just don't understand it. If everything is priced per square foot, why aren't houses just priced that way?? No negotiation, as there is no point if the bank only appraises that way.

o

Not all square footage is created equal. Obviously a 2000 square foot custom built home with 10 foot ceilings, hardwood and stone floors, granite counters, cherry cabinets and high end appliances, etc.is going to cost more than a 2000 square foot tract home with builder grade carpet, vinyl and laminate counters.

o

The land the home sits on is also a thrown into the equation. A 2000 sq ft home on a 1/4 acre lot will probably appraise for less then a 2000 sq ft home on a wooded acre lot in some instances. Also age of the home has a part in the appraisal process. There are so many variables that a straight square footage price just isn't feasible in a lot of areas.

o

"If everything is priced per square foot, why aren't houses just priced that way?? No negotiation, as there is no point if the bank only appraises that way."

Have you ever actually read an appraisal?

They are NOT based just on square feet.

o

If pricing was as simple as $ per sq foot, homes would never increase or decrease in value. There are always homes that set a record for highest selling price in their neighborhood. In fact, my neighbor's house recently did that. I don't know for a fact that the buyer had a bank appraisal but it's pretty likely they would've.

o

Sq. footage is the starting point. Then they add this and that subtract for this or that etc. # of baths, FP or 2, garage, finished lower level, solid surface counters, tile, hardwood floors, type of construction, plaster walls. Decks porches & views.

o

An appraisal doesn't set the selling price either. Most banks will only lend up for some percentage of the appraised value. As an example, assume a house appraised at 100k. A particular bank might only lend up to 90k for that house. Lets say the negotiated price is 102k. The buyer would have to come up with 102k-90k = 12k (plus all the fees etc) to complete the purchase.

Of course, many buyers might back out of a deal if the house doesn't appraise for the purchase price.

o

appraisals also differ by location.

For example, a new home builder could have several subdivisions located all over a large metro area..with some of the subdivisions being maybe 75-100 miles apart. Maybe some of the subdivisions have the exact same model/floorplan with the exact sq footage. Maybe by chance, the homes are the same age and have the same options.

But the same model in town A could appraise for $50k more than the exact model in town B, which are 75 miles apart. Why? Maybe town A has better schools and/or is a more expensive town that has a better location due to proximity to certain things, maybe closer to the mountains or sea or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here