Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

finally on market, pls critique photos

herus
16 years ago

This is the home we have moved out of but are nearby. We left maybe 1/2 of our furniture behind to show the home favorably.

It is in the North Atlanta suburban market where activity has subsided this year but prices have not really moved down by any appreciable amount, at least according to my sources. Schools and public services like parks are strengths of this city, as well as a relatively close-in location.

We priced toward the higher end of the comps but it is not the highest; a home listed some 3% higher just sold (don't yet know for how much). It is, however, much more updated and desirably outfitted (such as the home theater) than the competition, some of which is stucco, older, or has fewer baths, etc.

I would say it is truly in turnkey condition (have been reading the 'turnkey' thread :-) ). As the original owners, we always maintained carefully and updated the kitchen last year and had full exterior paint completed this spring. After spring began, we spent 3 months making adjustments, small fixes and cleanups ourselves.

Since the pics were taken a couple of weeks ago we have made some slight adjustments to furniture placement; nothing drastic but a few tweaks based on input from friends.

Your candid input is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

Comments (26)

• pkguy
    16 years ago

Lookin good. I didn't see a picture of the back of the house. Only minor quibble and it's personal.. I can't stand sofa's placed in front of a window. Windows are to look out of why stick a sofa in front of it LOL

• sparksals
    16 years ago

Everything looks good, but one thing I don't like to see is a bed angled in the corner. To me, that is an attempt to hide a small room.

Also, do you remember the shade of green in your bathroom? I love it! Also love the wainscotting in your LR/DR.

BTW, I agree with PKguy about the couch in front of the window.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Not sure if you saw the message they left you in the other post

sparksals, thanks for your feedback and compliments. Now for the sortof badnews.

We checked the paint can, and it is from Ralph Lauren, Rosette Green. (or Green Rosette; we are in the other house now).

When I look at this color on RL's site, it is hugely different.

This happened to us before with a variation. Years ago, we used another RL color, British Tan, that we wanted to get back to. Well, no longer being produced. there is an "English Tan" but not the same thing.

• paulines
    16 years ago

I agree with pkguy & sparksals. Perhaps switch the couch & chair around in the LR ~ other than that, perfect!

• deegw
    16 years ago

Your house is terrific! I think some large house plants would add the finishing touch and fill some of the empty spaces. I could see two on either side of your table on the landing, one in the master retreat area, one in the master bedroom by the windows and one or two in the dining room. Nothing wimpy. A good size terra cotta pot with a palm or large leaf house plant would by nice. You can get them cheap at the box stores and you don't even have to replant, just stick the nursery pot and all in the the nice planter.

• deegw
    16 years ago

Some big pots of flowers would look nice on the deck too!

• rena911
    16 years ago

Generally I don't like sofas in front of windows, but sometimes there's not much choice. You have beautiful overly large windows so it really doesn't detract. Trouble these days is that in most new homes the windows are only a few feet up from the floor which makes it difficult for furniture placement.

Looks like a lovely home. I, agree with the plant suggestions. I am a big fan of greenery; they are great for filling in empty spaces and create a feeling of aliveness.

• chisue
    16 years ago

It looks great! I would like to see a rear view of the house.

Small quibbles:
    Don't like to see a car in a driveway.
    Don't like to see a window obscured. (Armoir in MBR)
    Like the prior suggestions of plants since you are nearby and could keep them looking healthy.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Your home, interior AND exterior is absolutely beautiful, and the property magnificent! The homes in the south are always the most appealing to me personally~I don't see that sort of quality here in CA, not even in a home that's 1M!

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Are these pictures that are posted somewhere like on realtor.com? If so, the order of them is odd.

The picture of the front of the house should be first, not last. It would be better without the car, too. The masterbath picture is sideways, if it is posted that way it should be reshot to match the others.

Could some grass be planted under the trees in the back? It looks like bare dirt there. We have a very shady backyard also, and planted a shade tolerant grass there.

Otherwise, it looks very nice.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I am assuming these are not the photos to be used on the mls, is that right? The house is beautiful, and the furniture and decorating very tasteful, but the photos are not so good.

• herus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, there goes my career as a photographer. I am hurt.

Just kidding, and thanks. I did try to take them well but am in no delusions about my photography skills. Agree that as a bunch, they are not up to par. But I did select 6 to represent the home on Realtor.com. Search for MLS ID# 3529192

Also, here is my Craigslist ad.
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/rfs/377652955.html
    As I am listed with a flat fee broker I understand I need to do some legwork myself, not a problem.

I will take the writeup and edit it down to a more concise level, get nice printouts made, and will leave them on the kitchen counter.

It seems we have had at least one showing so far, per a courtesy call I received today. Don't know if this is expected/average. Listing has been up since Thursday afternoon, 7/18. Don't know yet if other showings have occurred.

Thanks also for the specifics and advice. We will work on doing those things. Not sure where to put the sofa as there is a FP on the facing wall, tv on another, and the fourth wall opens to the breakfast room and putting it on that threshold may visually isolate the room.

What is the wisdom re table place settings? I think it's cheesy but some friends thought it looks nice. If they are advisable, should we set both breakfast and formal? We will probably need to buy some settings as we took most of our stuff to use.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Is it possible not to use so many abbreviations in the listing?

I don't think table settings are needed, but they aren't bad to have.

I would leave the sofa where it is. No one is going to not buy your house because there is a sofa in front of the windows.

You have a beautiful house.

• herus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Missed answering some questions.

The back yard is under pine straw. Too much shade for much to grow there.

The pic order is what photobucket did with it. It loaded my first pic first (front of house) and so on, then used LIFO (Last In, First Out for the non-accountants) to display the last pic first. Annoying, to be sure. Will get to this soon and rearrange.

I don't think there are a lot of buyers looking at this album, btw, as that site is not linked in MLS. My purpose to post the pics was to get some opinions of the house (such as sofa in front of window), vs the pictures (such as sideways bathroom). The latter are correct points, just not so significant in the scheme of things.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

Herus, I lived in Marietta for 9 years and moved to FL about 7 years ago. I love reading your responses. I can add the Atlanta inflection and enjoy the southern in your speech. Really enjoy it!

Thanks

• herus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beachlily, that's cool... esp as I was born and raised to adulthood in another country!

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

I do have a minor quibble with the armoire in the MBR. It seems very large for the space, and makes the MBR look small. I would take that out, maybe. It looks like you have a fabulous greenspace out back-I would take a pic in the kitchen showing the view from there. You can see part of it in one of the pics. Beautiful home!

• sonopoly
    16 years ago

Your house is beautiful. How many square feet is it - both living space and lot?

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

I think the photos and description (albeit a bit long) are all very good. You've done a great job of outlining the amenities without going overboard. I agree about removing the picture with the car in the driveway...looks out of place. Also, while I have no quibbles about furniture placement, I do think the house looks a bit bare. I'd do a little staging. I like your friend's idea about place settings at tables, etc. The gal who staged one of my houses said you have to help buyers envision themselves sitting at your table, watching TV, sleeping in the bedrooms, etc. You could probably rent or borrow most of what you need to stage.

You have a lovely home! I bet it's hard to leave it. Good luck with your sale.

• sparksals
    16 years ago

thanks Rose! You're great at finding old threads and I must have missed the response in that one.

• herus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sonopoly, the two main levels are aprx 3100-3200 sf, with an additional 1,000 or so finished in the basement. The lot is between .65 and .75 acre.

• sonopoly
    16 years ago

That is huge and with a finished basement. Looks to be well worth your asking price. Your looks very clean, neat, and homey. I wish you the best of luck though I'm sure you will have no problem selling it.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

herus - so sorry about the remark about the photos; they aren't bad, but they look like they should have a little more snap to them. But, heck, they are head and shoulders better than the ones that lots of real estate agents take and use.

• infodivamary3
    16 years ago

Remove the car from the driveway and wet the pavement down before taking the picture. Makes a huge difference.

• herus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sonopoly, the two main levels are aprx 3100-3200 sf, with an additional 1,000 or so finished in the basement. The lot is between .65 and .75 acre.

• patti43
    16 years ago

I think it's gorgeous, herus. I love the fireplace and your colors. Love the back yard and your home theater--did you use it often? Just curious. Bet you hate selling it.