Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it unethical NOT to tell about new development next door?

Posted by jb_nj (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 22:43

We are considering selling our home. We have an empty lot next to us that a neigbor mentioned he heard is being sold and that a house will be built.

Because this lot is on a hill next to us it would remove any privacy we have in our backyard (the new house would look down on us). This would be a negative to whoever buys our home.

Is it unethical for us NOT mention to any potential buyers about the possibilty of a new house being built next to us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it unethical NOT to tell about new development next door?

Yes it is.

o

Not so fast...

We went through something very similar a few years ago when we tried to sell our home. The large, single lot next door was in negotiations to become a 12-lot subdiv. I asked my realtor if we should disclose, and he said, "what if they didn't build it?" Lots of things happen in business and deals remain unconsummated.

Four years later, that lot still sits, unsold and undeveloped. The original deal fell through, the recession kicked in, the owner had a heart attack (really) and there doesn't look to be any chance of development there any time soon. If we had rushed to "disclose" what wasn't there, we might have lost a sale.

o

There is always the potential that a house can be built on a residential lot that is available. You could point out that there is a residential lot adjacent to yours and leave it at that.

This is a bit different than say, you found out the lot next to yours was rezoned commercial and a gas station could go in next door.

o

Every state has disclosure laws that need to be followed. I am unaware of any state that forces disclosure of rumors and speculation though.

You are under no obligation to tell a potential buyer about what might happen to surrounding properties at some future date. You are only responsible for disclosing facts about your property. If the buyers want more information about the neighborhood or neighbors etc, then they, or their agent, are free to research that on their own.

o

Word of mouth is not legal notice.

o

In the 80's we were selling a home and our neighbors told us they were seeking a variance so that they could build a garage less then 5 feet from the property line. We said we wouldn't oppose the variance. We asked our realtor if this is something prospective buyers should be aware of and she said, unless they had already acquired the variance it wouldn't be an issue. She said seeking a variance wasn't the same thing as actually having one. We didn't disclose. Years later we passed by the home and the neighbor's garage had never been built.

You never really know what the plans are for that property until permits etc. are drawn. I wouldn't disclose a rumor and right now that's all you have.

o

At this point it's hearsay and that's all. Even if it weren't, consider that in residential sections, an unusual expanse of ground with no building on it is a potential home site. That thought should occur to any buyer as a part of the buying process as it's the normal course of events. Assuming a home does go there, that doesn't automatically make it some sort of irreparable fault, even if you'd prefer not to have somebody living near-by. If it were some sort of prospective zone change, or code variance it might be a different situation.

Everybody has their own zone of comfort when it comes to privacy. It's a pretty common situation in new developments to have none, zero and zilch. I don't expect if you were buying into a new housing site the builder would feel obliged to state the obvious, that you might be able to lean out your bedroom window and spit into the folk's next door's. ;-)

Caveat.........not a legal opinion by any stretch. But, I've looked at a lot of homes in my life, and I have always, always ? who owns an adjacent empty lot and if it wasn't the selling party then understood the obvious and not having that possibility handed to me on a silver platter.

Anyway..........if a prospective buyer would ask a selling agent about it, the selling agent would probably be truthful to the extent of their awareness. That's part of what they're being paid for, to handle a situation properly a seller might find awkward. No?

o

If the buyers are curious, they can check on it themselves. I wouldn't mention a word about it.

Jane

o

It's sort of like knowing all of the ins and outs of HUD and Section 8 Housing, and Government funded deals, of course I know. Now, go do your own research.

I have a house near a sleepy little Air force base that will soon become Boston Logan II, a fact which I won't add to my listing.

o

Formerly known as Otis?

o

How about this scenario? The prospective buyers ASK if they think anyone will develop that lot?

o

You reply "It's hard to say" and leave it at that. If they persist, say "I don't know". If they ask again, repeat "I don't know".

o

No ethical duty, a buyer should assume that an empty residential lot will be built on, and assuming that they can probably see that it will have an impact on their yard. If it were a done deal and you had seen the plans, I would let them know about it, but again that is just me, not a legal duty, but perhaps an ethical one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here