Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

How long was your house on the market before finally selling?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

Just wondering what to expect if i ever want to sell.

Comments (20)

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

That really varies greatly from one place to another. I don't think we're the norm, but here are our numbers.

We're currently under contract for the sale of our home. It was on the market for 3 weeks. Our last house was 11 days, the one before that was 14 days (sold for over asking price) and the one before that was just shy of a month.

The house next door to us sold in a month, the one across the street took seven months and the poor neighbor around the corner has had his house on the market for over 2 years.

• shrubbish
    9 years ago

Over several years, one that sold in 10 days. Two that went into a corporate buyout program after 90 days each. One vacant property in 7 days. One house that took 15 months. Only one of all of them created a profit. All of them prior to 2008.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Not knowing where you are, what the market and competition are like, and what the demand could be 'if you ever want to sell' open date....none of us could say.

I spent a couple of months updating one to sell a year ago, priced it realistically, and accepted an offer on day 4.

Adult children of friends of mine listed theirs just a few blocks away 6 months later, have dropped the price once, and it's been for sale with no acceptable offers since October listing, more than 9 months. I'm not sure why, the price appears to be right, the house is exceptionally clean, neighborhood is desirable, no work or repairs are needed.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

All FISBO, no realtor:

First: Five days, 10 offers. Great location for first time home buyers. Height of sellers market.

Second: Five days, two offers. Desirable location in newer subdivision. First buyer backed out. Seemed to us, as outsiders, that her boyfriend was pressuring her to buy a home she wasn't ready for. Resold home five days later to new buyers. Sold this home at the beginning of the market crash for a slightly lower price when we could see home sales prices slowly (in the beginning) dropping.

Third: Ten days, two offers. Desirable neighborhood/excellent school system near the end of the buyers market (2011)

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

Just sold our first home. We went FSBO and had an accepted offer after 6 weeks.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

4 years. We held out for the price we wanted and finally got it.

The house we sold BEFORE we bought that house: 22 hours. I guess it all evens out. :)

We were lucky in that both of those buyers were cash buyers. No inspections, financing, etc. They wrote us a check.

• samwill711
    9 years ago

We sold after 29 days on the market. We had a realtor.

• lizzie_nh
    9 years ago

5 days, at asking price, in a market with average DOM of about 120 days. I say we really lucked out, but we also worked like dogs to get things ready, putting about 2/3 of stuff in storage, repaired every little thing, went UNDER what comps would suggest we could sell for, etc.. We had a realtor but we guided everything and produced the photos, description, etc.. If we hadn't worried about FSBO deterring buyers and buyer agents, we would have gone that route.

Last time it was about 45 days in a similar market, but we started out higher than we should have.

I still think it often comes down to the right people just happening to walk in your door.

4 years on market, holding out for the price you want, will work IF you actually stay living there and like living there. Otherwise there are "carrying costs," whether it's the cost of the mortgage and taxes, or simply the "cost" of hating where you're living and/or feeling like you're stuck and can't move on to the next phase of your life. Also in some markets and some asking prices it could take a lot longer than 4 years for the market to come up to your asking price. Your house can appear to have major problems. But if you don't need or even really want to move, and you don't mind having your house listed forever, I suppose there's no harm is just seeing if you happen to get a bite.

This post was edited by lizzie_nh on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 21:49

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I'm the 4-year seller. :) No, we didn't HAVE to sell. We WANTED to sell. We had a big house on an acreage in the country and we wanted to downsize and move to town, after both our kids left home. So it was OK for us just to wait until the right person came along.

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

ugh - after about 100 days on the market and not that much interest, we are taking our house off the market. hopefully we will have better luck next spring (or maybe in the fall)

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Listed in January 2014. Six showings in 5 days. Received full price offer on sixth day. Appraisal came short of sales price by $10k so buyer kicked in an additional $5k and realtor lower commission so we netted out only $2k less.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Approx 2 1/2 years, but 2 crappy agents and the 3rd was very good. Rural area, mountain dirt roads and buyers also either bought or accepted much of the stuff we could not/did not want to move. 3 others sold thru same realtor because they also had bad agents. Now almost 14 years later, property is not moving in the area.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Honestly, I don't understand the point of this question. It obviously depends on the housing market in your area at the time you're selling.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Yes, the question is as meaningless as "pick a number between 1 and 1000".

Time on market depends on the property, the price, the local market, the national economy, marketing, the interest rates and availability of money, the time of year, etc etc etc.

The question is meaningless.

This post was edited by sushipup on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 19:17

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Unless it's just to chat about selling experiences....

• anitaladyrose
    9 years ago

Our last one sold in six weeks. That was in '08 just before the prices in our area dropped. We are preparing to place current home on the market and hope it sells quickly as we plan to build our next home.

• HU-623106307
    last year

Maybe we can continue this threat?

1.2005 in IL.Sold in one day for asking price.Town house in a sellers market.

2.2016 in Co.Buyers market.Nice house on a corner lot.Recived low ball,one person backed out.Finally sold after 6 months after market improved but had to lower price 5 times.

3.2021 in wine country Co.Sold in 24 hours close to asking price.I will always regret selling this one( remodeled victorian in a a perfect location.

4.2023 rural tx in down market.Over 300 days on the market,one low ball offer.A lot of showings but no other offers.Unique house with couple of acres.Reduced price 5 times already.This house is going to be the death of me.I wish I never bought it.

• HU-623106307
    last year

Good for you mxk3!Any quesses when its going to be a sellers market?We have double disadvantage since we have hard sell in buyers market.Looks like everyone here likes cookie cutter vanilla houses wnd we have unique house with warm colors sitting on a clif🤓

• kriii
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

House One 5 weeks. House 2 two five days. House three same day. House four builder said he could sell same day before build was even finished.