Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Why would our buyers need our HUD statement?

ncamy
12 years ago

We have verbally accepted an offer on our house, but the potential buyers told our agent that they wouldn't sign the final offer until they saw our HUD statement. We bought the house 15 years ago and can't find the HUD statement. This is the fourth house I've sold and never have I had to produce the closing papers from when I bought it. In fact it seems a little personal.

Comments (20)

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

so they'll know how much money you'll walk away with?

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

I think it seems a little personal too. Yes, we have sold four houses & three vacant lots, and nobody ever asked for our previous HUD-1.

What does your Realtor say?

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

Are they first-time home buyers? Maybe someone is confused and they wanted THEIR HUD statement?

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Sounds strange to me.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Well they really would only find out what you paid originally and they have already made an offer. I think that is public record anyway.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Seller paid points can be delectable for the buyer.

They are not deductible to the seller.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I'm trying to wrap my mind around it and need clarification, please. Do you mean seller paid points on the previous transaction can be deductible in the current transaction? I don't understand the rationale.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

If the seller paid any points towards the buyers loan they may be deductible by the buyer as interest paid.

If you did not pay any points for the buyer there is no reason they need a copy.

The actual HUD1 is the same for buyer and seller since it is a summary of the transaction.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

sorry, I think I read the question wrong;
    if the buyers are wanting your HUD from when you bought the house, they're trying to find out how much how much you borrowed.

Their written offer will be based on that rather than on what they've "offered".

In real estate, there's no such thing as a verbal contract;
    anybody can say, "would you take..?"
    If you agree, you still do *not have a contract*.

The buyer can keep reducing their offers, "Well, if you'll take that, would you take...?.

I wish you the best.

• lyfia
    12 years ago

I honestly would tell them sorry, but we don't keep 15 year old paperwork. If that kills the deal then so be it as I'm not sure it is much of a deal anyways at this point. Sounds to me like they would be negotiating more before actually making it written based on what they see on the HUD.

• badgergrrl
    12 years ago

Sounds to me like they will amend their 'verbal' (read: non-binding) offer once they see your HUD statement.

You are under no obligation to give or show it to them, as it has absolutely no bearing.

Politely decline. If they whine and walk away, consider yourselves lucky - they probably would've tried to nickel and dime at inspection.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

It is foolish for them to assume the loan you made when you purchased 15 years ago was the only loan. Most people refinanced during that time period, many taking additional monies out for repairs, etc.

In my state you can look up what people paid and what they owe. An obnoxious neighbor of mine did just that for the whole neighborhood.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"We have verbally accepted an offer on our house, but the potential buyers told our agent that they wouldn't sign the final offer until they saw our HUD statement. "

Verbal means nothing in RE, by law.

If they want the statement from when YOU purchased tell them to pound sand.

What you paid or borrowed has nothing to do with the present market value.

• berniek
    12 years ago

There is no reason to hang on to closing documents 15 years old, for the IRS, the accountant or potential buyers.

• ncamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! The ordeal is over. We have signed the offer. Apparently the buyers wanted the HUD because they wanted "proof" that our boat dock would convey with the house. When we bought the house 15 years ago, the docks weren't built which meant the deed was recorded on a different page. The whole HUD thing was an attempt to verify the dock ownership. Funny thing is, it wouldn't have been on our closing papers anyway since we didn't close on the dock until a year later.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

Probably won't be on the HUD-1 any how.

How frustrating.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Why didn't they just ask about the dock? Obviously they could have backed out if you misrepresented. People are crazy.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"There is no reason to hang on to closing documents 15 years old, for the IRS, the accountant or potential buyers."

Actually some of the costs might back added to the cost basis for computing profit.
    HUD1 forms should be kept at least until you dispose of the property.

• ncamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well no one needs to worry about profit cause we took a $70,000 loss on the property.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Well no one needs to worry about profit cause we took a $70,000 loss on the property."

If you did not have the documents you would not even know this.