Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
14 year old Stove Fix Self Cleaning: Really?

Posted by BelfastBound (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 16:45

Over the last 3 years we have updated everything in our circa 1988 home from contact paper to knobs and light fixtures, painted every room, put down hardwood and new carpet. We have a freestanding double oven and the smaller oven broke, we fixed it for $350. Now same oven will not self clean. Hubby wants to put another $400 into it. I say no way. What would you do after laying out 50K in upgrades? Thx for your support.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 14 year old Stove Fix Self Cleaning: Really?

I agree with your husband.

o

I agree with your husband, too.

o

Are you planning on selling your house? If selling isn't a concern, I'd just live with it. Or replace the whole thing. But for selling, I'd probably do the repair.

o

This is a built in double oven and not a range? How long after the repair did the self cleaning feature stop working? (I am a bit suspicious of your repair person.)

If I were selling, I would just replace it. You can get a new one for $1,000. It's 14 years old. Who knows what else could happen to it between now and when you sell the house? Why give potential buyers something to nit pick about?

If you aren't selling, I would just live with it and not make the repair. Use the other oven for messy cooking.

o

We are selling. It is a range. Thanks Deee I will call the repair guy. We didn't turn on self cleaning until 2 months later. From what I read on the web, this is a feature that breaks other parts of your oven and is to be avoided BTW. I will look at craigslist to see what can be had for $400 :)

o

For what it's worth, DD works at Lowes and says their appliance prices are insane (low) this weekend. Of course, its always easy to spend someone else's money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here