Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbtondo

Dishwasher Color for Resale

bbtondo
9 years ago

Some of you may remember me from the kitchen forum when I redid my kitchen about 5 years ago. It has divinity white cabinets and bisque appliances. I need a new dishwasher now. I plan on selling the house within 2-5 years. Do I replace with a bisque dishwasher that matches the rest of the kitchen, or do I replace with a stainless steel dishwasher for resale? I do not plan on replacing the rest of my bisque appliances unless they die.

Thanks for the advice!

Barb

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Since your other appliances are going to be 7-10 years old at the time of sale, I would probably do stainless and replace the others in anticipation of sale at that time.

Bisque may not be available at that time if you need to replace something else and you would still have mismatched appliances. By leaning toward SS now, you have a better chance of ending up with a match.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I'd probably go with stainless. Since bisque is thought of as dated. And as the other appliances die, replace them with stainless as well.

I'm in the same predicament right now. Dishwasher died. But my appliances are white.

• bbtondo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. When I redid my kitchen I kept my old appliances, so they are now 10 years old. My gut is telling me to get a stainless dishwasher. Looks like you all agree!

Do you think having all stainless vs bisque would help sell a house quicker? House price range is about $400. Is it worth the cost of new stainless appliances? I was hoping not to have to spend the extra money.

Barb

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

If you don't plan on selling for 2 to 5 years, then just replace your DW for now and don't worry about the other appliances. Think about it when the time rolls around.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

bbtondo- unless you are going high end built-ins, you can get the SS look pretty reasonably and sell or use your older appliances elsewhere. I am looking at a wonderful GE French door we bought for $1200 to use in our rental. This one goes on sale for a better price periodically. I really do like it as well or better than any refrigerator I've ever had. Those are the biggies with the most surface area. I'd follow with microwave/hood... sink... range/oven last. I would estimate 4K based on my recent experience shopping sales. Again... functional- not high end.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Microwave/ hood.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Dishwasher- sorry for the different posts, but this device will not allow me to choose multiple images. Anyway, you get the idea- Three big surfaces for a little over 2K. A range is another $1200 or so.

• dees_1
    9 years ago

There are many scratch and dent sales you can scan to find better deals; or outlet stores. Take your time and shop well. You can re-appliance for well under $2k if you shop well.

Also don't forget to look for prior year models. I picked up a GE Profile counter depth French door fridge a couple of years ago for $1,550. It was more than 50% off due to a model year switch. Works fine!