Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV - Leave it to the imagination?

Posted by seekingsun (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 15:21

Our living room has the TV (big flat screen) and TV stand in the corner of the room. Blocking 2 very nice floor to ceiling picture windows...It is really the only place to put the TV in the room (never worked well for us either).

So, do we take out the TV and just stage the living room as a sitting area? Or leave the awkward TV which blocks a major selling point (newer windows and natural light). My husband says people won't be able to decide/picture where to put their TV if we take it out. This is the only living space for a TV unless we put one in what is now our office (which is technically a bedroom...).

Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV - Leave it to the imagination?

I'd vote for taking it out, but making sure that the cable jack is visible. I don't need to see a tv, but I do want to know where one is possible without calling in someone to run wiring for me.

o

I would also take it out.

o

I vote to remove the TV.

o

Don't know what relative size you're dealing with, but a hybrid decision might be to take down the big flatscreen, but buy a much smaller TV that doesn't block the windows, but shows where the TV cable is. A small TV isn't very expensive.

o

Don't know what relative size you're dealing with, but a hybrid decision might be to take down the big flatscreen, but buy a much smaller TV that doesn't block the windows, but shows where the TV cable is. A small TV isn't very expensive.

o

Another vote for removing it.

o

Remove it! When we bought our brand new condo the models were staged without TVs. The loft design actually did make TV placement awkward, but we bought the place anyway... I would definitely not call attention to the fact that that's the only place you think is available, or block the windows.

o

+1 to the above: remove it. We've got ours upstairs in the bonus room.

o

Agree on removal. Why call attention to this design flaw? Also, don't assume that your buyers will put a TV in that room anyway.

o

Absolutely remove it. Some people have small TVs, others move it in a spare bedroom. Your living room will look a lot more attractive and there's no need to point out that TV placement may be a potential problem.

o

And another vote for removal.

o

Well, clearly you don't need yet another vote for removing the TV, but here it is anyway. I have the same situation and when I am ready to market my home, I plan to remove my TV and replace it with a chair or bookshelf.

I've noticed that there are rarely TVs in model homes that I've toured. I think there's a reason for that -- no TV means less "stuff" cluttering up the room and nobody has to see awkward cables and wires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here