Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seekingsun_gw

TV - Leave it to the imagination?

seekingsun
10 years ago

Our living room has the TV (big flat screen) and TV stand in the corner of the room. Blocking 2 very nice floor to ceiling picture windows...It is really the only place to put the TV in the room (never worked well for us either).

So, do we take out the TV and just stage the living room as a sitting area? Or leave the awkward TV which blocks a major selling point (newer windows and natural light). My husband says people won't be able to decide/picture where to put their TV if we take it out. This is the only living space for a TV unless we put one in what is now our office (which is technically a bedroom...).

Opinions?

Comments (12)

• deeje
    10 years ago

I'd vote for taking it out, but making sure that the cable jack is visible. I don't need to see a tv, but I do want to know where one is possible without calling in someone to run wiring for me.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I would also take it out.

• sameboat
    10 years ago

I vote to remove the TV.

• hayden2
    10 years ago

Don't know what relative size you're dealing with, but a hybrid decision might be to take down the big flatscreen, but buy a much smaller TV that doesn't block the windows, but shows where the TV cable is. A small TV isn't very expensive.

• hayden2
    10 years ago

Don't know what relative size you're dealing with, but a hybrid decision might be to take down the big flatscreen, but buy a much smaller TV that doesn't block the windows, but shows where the TV cable is. A small TV isn't very expensive.

• OttawaGardener
    10 years ago

Another vote for removing it.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Remove it! When we bought our brand new condo the models were staged without TVs. The loft design actually did make TV placement awkward, but we bought the place anyway... I would definitely not call attention to the fact that that's the only place you think is available, or block the windows.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

+1 to the above: remove it. We've got ours upstairs in the bonus room.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Agree on removal. Why call attention to this design flaw? Also, don't assume that your buyers will put a TV in that room anyway.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Absolutely remove it. Some people have small TVs, others move it in a spare bedroom. Your living room will look a lot more attractive and there's no need to point out that TV placement may be a potential problem.

• xamsx
    10 years ago

And another vote for removal.

• crackermoo
    10 years ago

Well, clearly you don't need yet another vote for removing the TV, but here it is anyway. I have the same situation and when I am ready to market my home, I plan to remove my TV and replace it with a chair or bookshelf.

I've noticed that there are rarely TVs in model homes that I've toured. I think there's a reason for that -- no TV means less "stuff" cluttering up the room and nobody has to see awkward cables and wires.