Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

The Truth? About Online RE sites..Trulia, Zillow, Realtor.com

Is there a truth?

What I have found is that most of their listings are no longer active.

Why are they not pulled? Could it be that Realtors want you to call? AKA Advertising?

Can we trust them? Doubtful.

If you are selling or buying a home, your realtor should give you a link into the REAL MLS!

Look at zip code 92544 (mine) on all the above. You will find a lot of homes. Then look at the real MLS. THREE!! There are only 3 homes for sale here. If you do it, search for 1+ acre, 3+ bedrooms, 3+ baths.

Those online sites are not updated for many reasons, but mostly Realtors advertise on there, do not pull their ad, because they want you to call, and of course, they do have OTHER more interesting properties....

JMHO

Suzi

Comments (4)

• Linda
    10 years ago

Actually you are mistaken. The MLS shows the listings have accepted offers, the online sites don't have the ability to do that on the same level. . The homes are not yet sold but rather going thru the process of being sold. They cannot be pulled as you say until they close. Realtors have no control over what zillow, trulia or any of the others report. So unfortunately for you, your statement is just a lot of hot air.

The mls is paid for by realtors, you must be licensed and a realtor ( not just an agent) to have MLS. An agent can lose their membership and license for giving that access out.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Suzi, Suzi, Suzi,
    You can trust me when I say that agents have absolutely no control over these third party sites. And whatever you are referring to as the MLS, is not.
    These third party sites are nothing more than data aggregators. And the more data they have, the more clicks they get. The more clicks they get the more they can charge for their ad space. Simple as that. They do not care that the data is old or incorrect.
    If you are a serious buyer or seller, your RE agent can set you up on a listing search that is up to date to the day.
    Personally, I boycott all those third party sites, and always encourage my buyers and sellers to do the same. They take my and my sellers listings and then try to sell us agents leads that are generated by these listings... which is fine, but I choose not to promote them at all.
    Now, I hope you feel better knowing that you just "spoke" with two highly trustful agents. There are still a few of us out here.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Suzi seems to be getting some jollies trolling around the boards here with various topics that all have similar feel. She has URGENT news we ALL need to read. Or has had a HORRIBLE experience and wants to WARN us so we can PROTECT ourselves from a similar fate. sigh...... give it a rest, Suzi.

• chispa
    10 years ago

If your area has redfin.com, they are a great RE site. Listings are updated throughout the day, they show pending & back up offer status and you can search for solds too.

I used it when buying and now use it to keep up with my local market.