Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltlfromgardenweb

Need paint color suggestions for almond kitchen ASAP!

ltlfromgardenweb
9 years ago

Hi, I'm not sure why i waited till the last minute but painter is coming Tuesday to paint the home we're planning to list soon, hopefully just after he's done painting. I don't have photos because I'm here right now typing this on my phone and we've moved out already so there's no computer here, but the kitchen has 1980s almond colored appliances as well as matching tile backsplash and counters. Yea, it's a lotta yellow- almond.

My thoughts: a light gray might work in the way that grey and yellow can go together. But would sticking with a matching beige paint be safer? They say people don't want beige anymore. Remodeling the whole kitchen is out of the question and not worth it. What paint color would help almond kitchen fixtures look less terrible????

Comments (11)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What color are the cabinets?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

bump up

• ltlfromgardenweb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh boy well, the cabinets are builder grade late 1980s orangey oak. I know! But my husband owned it before we got married and we lived there for a few years while we had a baby and renovated our "forever house," so we did nothing to it at all. Haha, it's a perfectly preserved 1988 time capsule.

The only thing i feel like it's worth doing is slapping a coat of paint on it. Probably whoever buys will end up putting in their own new kitchen. I'm sorry i don't have a way to upload pictures right now. But just picture the standard kitchen of a couple decades ago! Would grey paint make it look slightly more modern or would it look like it's fighting with the almond and orange oak?

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Try the home decorating forum too. My first feeling about gray and beige is no. Not sure what else to suggest though.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I have an orangy stain on my maple cabinets - I guess the previous owners were trying to get them look like that orangy oak! And I have beige laminate counters. And white appliances. I painted the walls a sea foamy green - Benjamin Moore Sherwood Green. (The previous owners had peach walls).

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

The first thought that popped into my mind was aqua-green (aqua-blue, or any blue, on walls darkens the room & is hard to decorate with), to offset & complement the orangey/goldy/yellowness, but pixie's sea foam, or maybe mint green, sounds excellent, too.

I always think that "neutral everything" makes a house look like its trying to disappear.
    Best luck!

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

I think you need to stay away from gray & beige too. We had the same problem with orangish cabinetry. Try taking a look at SW Svelte Sage for green or BM Nimbus Gray for a blue. Both have gray undertones and tend to de-emphasize the orange of the cabinetry.

Here's a pic of BM Nimbus Gray in our kitchen.

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

And here's a pic of SW Svelte Sage. We used it in the kitchen of one of our previous homes and chose it for the master bedroom at this house. Great color with orangish woods.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Ignore the breakfast mess. Just snapped a photo of our ugly orange cabinets, boring beige counters, and BM Sherwood Green walls.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Honestly, don't even try. Fresh paint isn't going to make a difference at all. Not without addressing the other issues. You're stressing out for no reason here. Save the effort.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

See link below. I'd pick whatever goes best with the almond.

Suggestions are:
    Benjamin Moore Sweet Spring, Hazy Skies, Pleasant Valley
    Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay or Ancient Marble

Here is a link that might be useful: top 5 wall colors with oak cabinets

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia