Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki62

Decorate walls or no?

micki62
9 years ago

My house is currently on the market. It's in excellent shape. Most rooms have been freshly painted and as decluttered as we can manage while still living here. Following showings we've had 2 negative comments: there is wallpaper in the formal dining room and kitchen counters are ceramic tile rather than granite. After a month on the market, I've decided to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls in the dining room with the same neutral taupe shade we've used in most of the house. But the question is, what do I do about decor? I don't want to re-hang the large painting and sconces or the large mirror that were on the walls because they require heavy duty hardware to hang them. I'm talking screws and anchors in the walls. Also, the drapes really won't go well with the room once it's redone. There are mini blinds in the window though. Can I just leave all the walls bare and leave the drapes down? Wwyd? I'm posting a link to the listing if you want to look at the pictures of the dining room. My agent will come take new pictures and replace the old ones once I'm done.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

Comments (7)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would leave the artwork down. Prop one of them on the sideboard if you think the room needs something. I would appreciate the lack of nail holes.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Lovely home. I agree to NOT put the artwork back up. I'd also skip reinstalling the hardware for the drapes. The mini blinds should be fine. Good luck!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

Pretty house, and located close to my daughter's in-laws too. I think you have done a lovely job of readying your house for sale. It is gorgeous. I agree that taking down the wallpaper is good. You will be surprised at how much larger the room will look without wallpaper, and you are selling space when you sell a house. Same is true of hanging drapes, they add to the busy feeling of a room and do make it look a little smaller. Don't re hang them. Do leave all the mirrors and pictures off the walls. The first bathroom has a lot of stuff on the vanity. Remove it. Buy some pretty towels for display in that bathroom, and do not use them at all. They are just for showings. You could de clutter the kitchen counters a little more. I would not change the counter tops in the kitchen, but do be sure that the grout and tiles are sparkling clean, which I assume they are. If someone wants to change the counters, that would be easily done to their taste. In the meantime, your home is move-in ready for the next family. Good luck!

This post was edited by sheilajoyce on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 15:01

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Are you missing a stair spindle? It looks like you are (at the top end, about 3 in). I'd be concerned about that as a buyer. And, yes, I think when the wallpaper is gone, it will be better. The kitchen won't be much better without spending a lot of money (but could you hide the garbage can for showings? No need to call attention to the fact there isn't a good built in spot for it).

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Beautiful house!

I think removing the wallpaper will be a vast improvement. That was pretty much the only thing that made me say "ugh". Your dining room table, hutch and sideboard will look gorgeous against the neutral beige walls. And that should be enough decor. I would just add a giant bouquet of flowers to the dining room table.

• micki62
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the tips! I've done many of the things you all mention since these photos were taken. When my agent comes to take new photos of the dining room, I'll ask her to take new ones of the kitchen and baths too. The countertops are freshly steam cleaned with no stains. I think they look good. As for the missing spindle, it's been like that since we moved here. It's in a bit of an awkward spot that's not exactly spaced right. I'll ask hubby if he wants to try to fix it. It's never bothered me. I think we will probably have a 2nd open house soon so I better get busy!

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

That missing spindle will get mentioned on inspection, and if a family is buying the house, they will want it "fixed".