Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

X-Post: Shipping an O'keefe & Merritt cross country

navi_jen
9 years ago

Hope you don't mind the Xpost from appliances..a lot of moving goes on here, thought I might get some good responses here.....

I found my perfect stove..a 1954, 6 burner, double glass oven O'Keefe and Merritt stove. Bought it from the original owner's granddaughter...it's been in the same family for 60 years and has almost pristine chrome, the ovens are spotless, and only 1 visible chip on the porcelain (on the kickplate). The challenge is it's 2000 miles away. I've purchased it, now I just have to get it back to Boston (it's in AZ now). The shipping will cost more than the stove, but I can live with that.

One of the LA antique stove stores gave me the name of their shipper and their quote is reasonable..and it includes full crating (in a wooden box). However, if you read the fine print of their Bill of Lading, they basically deny a bunch of liability for damages:

-They will only drop it off at the curb
-Owner fully releases carrier from damage of any kind to flooring, carpeting, walls (the list goes on)
-For damages that result in mishandling such as bumping, dropping load shifting, etc the maximum amount the company can be held liable is $3.00 per pound per item
-Company X expressly does not recognize loss in value to any cargo item physically damaged as the result of mishandling.
-Have to declare damage at time delivery (not a big deal)

Has anyone shipped an appliances or single large items (e.g. pianos) cross country? Are these terms & conditions reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Can you talk to one of the appliance stores to find out who they use? Have you talked to Fed EX? Be aware that UPS may say yes, but some of the offices are better than others. I have used them for years, but about a year ago had trouble with a pack and ship package. Have you talked to a moving company that is going about that distance but does not have a full load? Just call around to some of the large trucking companies and they might have some suggestions.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd also check out www.uship.com
    You put in the information, such as weight, dimensions, and from where to where, and then receives bids. I shipped a large china cabinet with glass doors for substantially less than UPS or Fedex, white glove, door to door.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

My business purchases big stuff that gets shipped, and there absolutely is liability on the carriers if things are damaged by them. These 2 clauses would give me pause:

1. For damages that result in mishandling such as bumping, dropping load shifting, etc the maximum amount the company can be held liable is $3.00 per pound per item

-How much does your stove weigh, and does this cover its value? Also, make sure that they also refund your shipping fee if they break something to the point you have to buy another one (and pay for shipping it).

2. Company X expressly does not recognize loss in value to any cargo item physically damaged as the result of mishandling.

-What??? If they mishandle it and damage it and it's worth less, they don't pay up? I suppose if they repair it so it's worth the original price, that would be ok. But anything that they damage would be worth less, so this seems like a wriggle-out clause.