Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeowner's Insurance costs?

Posted by sonopoly (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 12:35

I'm sorry to be posting here, but I need info quickly and this is the most active board and people seem helpful and knowledgeable here.

I am shopping for new homeowner's insurance and am getting quotes of wide ranges of prices. I want decent coverage but want a good deal as well (doesn't everyone?).

I am looking for about $160K dwelling coverage, $1,000 deductible and one other thing my house is over 100 years old. This is MA.

I just need a little direction as some quotes were as low as $450 and others as high as $1,300.

Thanks for any help I get!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeowner's Insurance costs?

I'm in Maine, which is priced similarly to Mass, and I pay about $1200 for $800k replacement value, no flood insurance, not directly on the coast (3 miles inland), $1k deductible, but my house is only a few years old (there is a discount on there for that).

$160k dwelling coverage for anything in Mass. sounds really low unless that is a tiny house (smaller than 1000 sf). A house is often more to replace than it is worth at sale.

o

Thanks, Sue -- this is extremely helpful. I'm going to spend the weekend doing some more research and hopefully I'll get some more responses here. My house is very small -- just about 1,000 sf. I might up the replacement coverage though as one insurance company recommended this as well.

Thank you again so much and I hope you have a great weekend!

o

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples with each company. That is the only way to make a real comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here