Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strongwind

Short sale appraisal

StrongWind
10 years ago

Any one experienced with short sales and the way it works, when the appraisal comes back lower than contract?
We switched brokers, when our original broker was dragging his feet. He, 'jumped the gun,' when ordering an appraisal. On top of that, he sent the wrong contract to the appraisal, so it had a selling price 3500.00 less than the final contract price. The appraisal priced it at the 3500.00 less selling price.
Since we already had paid for the appraisal, the new broker told us she could get it released from the first broker. So, we sent her the appraisal, with the appraised price 3500.00 less than agreed upon contract price.
Instead of taking that appraisal to the listing agent, to take it back to the short selling bank, he had the appraiser change the appraised price. He said it made him feel, 'guilty,' to have it go back to the bank and ask for the 3500.00 less appraised price. He also told us that it would be in, 'breach of contract,' and we would lose the house, if the appraiser wouldn't change the price. Now, we have to come up with 3500.00 more at closing. This seems like fraud to me. Do I personally have to ask the listing agent to take the original appraisal to the bank? I feel that the worse thing the bank can do is say, "No, we want the contract price." What is the real reason our agent doesn't want the short sale bank to see this appraisal? Does anyone know the correct way to go about this?

Comments (3)