Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicgold

Would you buy a house with a hot tub in the basement?

musicgold
9 years ago

Hi,

We have found a lovely house that has all the features we would like to have except one - its basement has a large (3-4 people) hot tub and a small sauna.

The reason, I don't like this feature is I am worried about mold. I don't think we would use this feature much.

The house itself is ~30 years old, but I am not sure when the hot tub was installed. While there was no pungent smell when we visited the house, my gut keeps telling me that there has to be some mold. There is an exhaust fan in the room that apparently takes the hot air out.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Also does the resell value of house go down with this kind of feature?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

Music,
    I wouldn't buy it.
    Or, you could ask them to remove it, which they won't so you won't end up buying it anyway.

• emoree
    9 years ago

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't mess with a house with any weirdness in the basement. But if you absolutely love the house and it's perfect in every other way you could get estimates for how much it would cost to remove it and price your bid accordingly.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

Ask the sellers to remove it or deduct the cost of removal and capping of pipes from the asking price. The basement is a weird place to put a hot tub. Anything else weird with this house?? NancyLouise

• musicgold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks folks.

"Anything else weird with this house??"

Please click on the link below for the listing.

Would love to know what other members think of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: MLS link

This post was edited by musicgold on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:42

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I can't tell if it is in the BASEMENT, or if it is in a lower walk-out story? Does the floor daylight?

If you aren't paying a premium for the hottub, I'd remove it if it weren't my taste. I'd not pay extra for it. And, I might adjust my price down a bit due to it.

Nothing else, in the pictures, screams "ISSUE" to me. Just the DW placement is a little tight, I think, for the sink location.

• musicgold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I can't tell if it is in the BASEMENT, or if it is in a lower walk-out story? Does the floor daylight?"

It is in the basement. There is no walk-out. I am not sure what you mean by 'floor daylight'. There is a sunroof just above the kitchen.

This post was edited by musicgold on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:14

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

The kitchen sink seems to be an awkward placement looking at the photo. When you stand in front of it, is it easy to use? Other then that and the hot tub, it looks like a very nice house. NancyLouise

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Can you take a peek under that hot tub, i.e. I'd imagine that that wood surround can be opened. That should give you an idea whether there are moisture/mold issues.

• musicgold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. Appreciate your feedback.

• Denise Evans
    9 years ago

Get rid of the hot tub. My husband once owned a house with a hot tub in the basement and because the room wasn't properly vented, there were moisture issues in the basement. Once the hot tub was removed, the basement was dry.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Holy cannoli!! What a difference in pricing - a house like that in my area would sell for probably $150,000.

If I were considering buying, I'd ask that the hot tub be removed and insist on a satisfactory inspection verifying no moisture issues in that area, before I made an offer.