Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broe_gw

Convert extra room to 5BR?

broe
10 years ago

Are there any cons to converting a play-room to a fifth bedroom?

3,000 sq ft. 4 bedroom(3 up, master down)
Downstairs also has office/TV room.

Upstairs had an open loft, larger than the other 3 rooms upstairs. The prior owners walled up the loft and it is now a kids play-room. In every manner it is a bedroom with the exception of a closet.

I have been thinking of adding a closet to market the home as a 5BR.

The average homes in the neighborhood around about 2,800 sq ft; with most being 4BR, some 3 and some 5's.
The school district is best in the area - so many families around.

Thanks for you advice.

Comments (9)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Seems like a no brainer to me. It can't cost much to add a closet, and it could definitely be a plus to have 5 bedrooms. It could still be used as a play room, office etc. In fact the closet would probably add to its functionality regardless of its purpose.

• rafor
    10 years ago

If you have 5 bedrooms in only 2800 sq ft, they must all be small rooms. I wouldn't consider it a plus and would just prefer the bonus room.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I see no downside to adding a closet to a playroom. Even if not used as a bedroom, it'd be useful for the toys.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Closets are good things!

Don't expect more money, though, when you go to sell.

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

Adding a closet sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't think it would cost much and it might make your house perfect for someone who needs 5 bedrooms.

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

Yes, I would add the closet, because as other's have said it can be used for toys or A/V equipment etc.

Make sure the room as a proper window for egress though before you try to call it a bedroom.

Also, are you on public sewer or septic? If septic, it could have been sized and/or limited for a certain number of bedrooms.

• broe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice folks!

• storyofmylife
    10 years ago

What are the other 5 bedroom houses in your neighborhood like? Are they on average larger than yours? Do they have 5 bedrooms and a bonus room (in a similar manner that you have 4 bedrooms and a bonus room)?

Adding a 5th bedroom puts you at another level - how do you compare against other 5 bedroom homes? A possible situation could arise in that you are now priced as a 5 BR house, but if that 5 bedroom house doesn't compare well against other 5 BR homes, those buyers looking for 5 BR houses will not consider yours. The buyers looking for 4 BR houses may not consider yours because it is priced at a 5 BR level.

This was actually something that was in our local paper last week - two homes next to each other. One was a two bedroom that had multiple offers and sold for $130K over asking. The one that didn't sell was a 3 BR that sat on the market and finally the seller pulled the listing. According to the comments section, some people visited the second house and said that the house was really a 2 BR, but that a third room downstairs was converted to a 3rd bedroom (probably was a den off the entry). This house fell into that no man's land - a 2 BR house priced as a 3 BR but didn't compare well with other 3 BRs in the neighborhood. Of course, there are probably a ton of other reasons why it didn't sell, but it didn't help that it wasn't a true 3 BR.

Anyway - just something to check out. I don't see any harm in converting and making a 5th bedroom as long as you could do it in a way that makes it comparable to other 5 BR homes.

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

storyofmylife, You raise a good point. But they could also end up being the lowest priced 5 bedroom house in the neighborhood. Adding a closet would not obligate them to raise their selling cost to the same as other 5 bedroom houses.