Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zanesmom_gw

Please remove your shoes?

zanesmom
17 years ago

Okay, I've seen this topic within other threads here, but didn't find one devoted to it. I've beautiful new light-colored carpeting on my main level. Since I've gone on the market, when friends and family visit, they remove their shoes. After my first few showings, I noticed dirt in various places of the carpeting - spread out and dug in enough that I pulled out the carpet shampooer and spent an entire afternoon cleaning the rug. I have now placed a sign in the foyer asking people to please remove their shoes before entering the LR. I don't think it's too much to ask since I'm doing my best to keep the carpeting nice for the next owner. I don't want to spend what little spare time I have continually spot-cleaning/shampooing and I do have a decent mat at the front door. So do I keep the sign, or take it down?

Comments (150)

• theroselvr
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you :)

• chiefneil
    17 years ago

"Horrors! somebody actually used your stuff when they were a guest....

That neither reflects hospitality nor graciousness as a host, IMHO. "

And tracking mud and dirt all over your host's carpet to the point that it needs a professional cleaning reflects graciousness as a guest?

• newjerseybt
    17 years ago

When I was selling my house I didn't want to lose a sale over a "shoe" issue so I kept a fully loaded carpet cleaner in the closet. I must have cleaned the carpet over 40 times and the shampooer recovery tank always looked like it was filled with chocolate milk.

I got sick and tired of my own shoes tracking in dirt so for the first time in my life I walked around the house in my white cotton socks. One day I had an interesting experience walking down to my finished basement as I suddenly became a "human bowling ball" bouncing down a flight of stairs. (no injuries)

Finished wood floors, wood stairs and socks are a dangerous combination. Make sure your homeowner's insurance is adequate to cover hip replacement and possible litigation.

• giantpony
    17 years ago

Today we attended 6 or 7 open houses in our area. We haven't listed our own house yet, but are in the research pahse and are checking around to see what sorts of things are common here.

The open houses were all well attended and *everyone* removed their footwear without any signs or anyone asking. We're about an hour outside Toronto, Canada and things are wet, snowy, and muddy.

I did however notice the "effects" of the customary (for our area) shoe removal policy. A couple houses we walked into the first smell to assault your nose was *feet*! Not necessarily a good first impression.

It does however really give you a good idea of how big entry ways are, for when guests come over... with all the shoes and people coming and going, many entry ways are just too small!

• coolvt
    17 years ago

I can understand wanting people to take off their shoes when the weather outside is messy. What I can't understand is someone mentioning shoe heels denting the wooden flooring. What kind of wood is used that can dent with high heels? I have solid oak floors and have dropped a hammer without any dent. Are we talking about this 1/4" laminated flooring?
    I guess I can also understand the idea of dirtying up light colored carpets. What do you do it someone takes their shoes off and their socks are just crummy? I guess to me, floors are made to be walked on. I had a neighbor who wouldn't let his kids walk on the lawn because it was too perfect. To me a lawn is a place for kids to romp. I just need a house that can be lived in.

• sparksals
    17 years ago

Vivian wrote:
    Horrors! somebody actually used your stuff when they were a guest....

That neither reflects hospitality nor graciousness as a host, IMHO.
    ============

Considering the carpet is brand new and we had two other separate guests that did not dirty the carpet in their visit, yes, I have the right to feel mortified. The carpet has only been in for one month and we replaced it in order to help sell our home. I don't know where you get off saying I am an ungracious host or lacked hospitality. I did not say anything to MIL and I certainly did not ask her to remove her shoes. I thought she'd have a bit of decorum to realize the carpet was new and that we were getting ready to sell, so that she could have been a bit more careful.

I'm with chiefneil. If the carpet wasn't new and installed specifically in anticipation of selling, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. We have worked very hard to get our house ready to sell and having to clean one-month old carpet is a job we did not anticipate. The fact that it is new and now has to be professionally cleaned does show a lack of respect for our home, especially when two other guests (who were from Canada and did not wear shoes inside) did not dirty the carpet whatsoever.

The other two rooms with carpet are still clean because we don't wear shoes in those rooms.

• mmelko
    17 years ago

Two existing homes where I had to remove my shoes, one because, I guess just because, and the other because the lady claimed she had just had the carpets cleaned that morning (they weren't damp) - neither owner provided a clean, safe place for me to sit and remove and put on my shoes. (I had sneakers on that tied). That fact colored my impression of the property and really put me off. They could have been perfect houses, but I couldn't see past the fact that I had to lean against a wall outside on the stoop to get my shoes off or sit on the dirty steps and then I had to tip toe through the dirt to the car to put my shoes on, or I could sit on the dirty steps.

It's just a floor. How would you feel if someone fell down your wood stairs or slipped on your lovely scratch free shiney wood or tile floors. How much in medical expenses, lost wages and incidentals is that worth to you?

Would you ask a handicapped person to leave his/her crutches or walker or cane or wheelchair outside?

If it's nasty and muddy and wet and icey or snowy, sure, take your shoes off buyer, but seller be sure to provide a safe clean place for someone to sit down so they can safely and comfortably take off and put on their shoes.

As for the paper booties, most people can't put them on standing up and they have a high slip factor too.

Concentrate on selling your house, not inconveniencing buyers or getting to know the attorney for your insurance company. If you created the hazard by the way, like requiring people to put on slippery paper booties, your insurance company is not going to cover you. it's a floor, clean it, or you could be worrying about bigber things, like a lawsuit.

• sue36
    17 years ago

I would think buyers are very short-sighted if they would dismiss a house because they have to remove their shoes. Maybe you view those sellers as anal. But you aren't becoming friends with them, you are buying the house. You are free to dirty-up the floors after you move in, after all. I would rather buy a house from someone that takes care of their property (whether it is to protect the floors or to prevent filth from being tracked in) than someone who doesn't.

This is what I wrote above, and I still think it hits the nail on the head:

"[These threads] get heated because the "shoes off" people are fundamentally challenging the housekeeping standards of the "shoes on" people. And the "shoes on" don't like that, and furthermore think the "shoes off" people are a bunch of unwelcoming fuss-budgets."

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Ok now the disposable shoe covers I would do.
    I'd feel like a nutter asking someone else to use them but if asked I would play along.

• bonelady
    17 years ago

If you are worried about your carpet, please buy some runners or washable throw rugs. I would not want to take the chance of sending all of the earlier posters right back to their car without even seeing my house!

• sparksals
    17 years ago

mmelko - I am an avid "shoes off in the house" person, but I do have to admit, you make a valid point about having an adequate place to sit to take off/put on the shoes.

Where I come from, most people are used to standing or leaning on a wall when they put on their shoes. When in an area where it's not common to remove them, I think it's perfectly reasonable to provide a place where one can sit and remain clean in order to put them back on.

As for lawsuits, I'm sure it's happened, but I don't think it is a normal occurrence in Canada where people slip in a person's home because shoes are off and then they sue. But that could be because Canada is not as litigant happy as the US.

• joann23456
    17 years ago

Sue36 - You're right - it *is* short-sighted to avoid a house because the owners ask for shoes off. Nonetheless, I know that's how I'd feel, because it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

I think you're right on target about why these discussions get so heated, but that also feeds into why I would be unlikely to look at a shoes-off house. I'd be thinking that I was in pain just to please some cranky fuss-budget - not a particularly receptive frame of mind, eh?

• mmelko
    17 years ago

Vioxx is off the market not because a majority of people died, but because there was an unacceptable side affect that killed or severely injured and a few people and the company that made Vioxx knew there was this risk that far outweighed the benefit of the medicine. Would you feel differently about it if it were one of your family members who died as a result of taking Vioxx or some other medication? What if that happened to your wife, you didn't have medical insurance or what you had didn't cover what she needed, or she lost her job because she couldn't work anymore and you couldn't get any redress from the company? Most people sue not because they want to make money, but because they want to hold the company responsible and warn others about the danger. Money will never replace your child, or your mother or your husband.

We don't put small children in the front seat of a car because a few children were injured or killed as a result of the airbags inflating - and aren't you glad you know not to put your small child in the front seat of your car? It infuriates me when someone throws out the "litigation happy" line.

How many lives do you think are saved as a result of the first lawsuit against a car maker who failed to warn parents that the air bags in the front seats of vehicles could kill or injure your children? Don't you just know that parent who found out the hard way, would have appreciated knowing that?

Litigation serves a number of purposes way beyond making some plaintiff or lawyer money, it also raises awareness of a hazard that may kill or injure one of your friends or family members. Corporattions aren't always "good" citizens and they have been known to put out products with a defect that they know in advance could cause great harm to someone using their product.

Brushing it off to "Americans are litigious" is an response rising from ignorance. It isn't lawsuit abuse if it's your lawsuit, somehow that is different. So you wouldn't sue if your wife slipped on a floor, hit her head, suffered a severe concussion and died, because she was wearing paper booties the owner of the house required buyers to wear when they entered their home?

Isn't it worth it to you to know that someone could be injured on your property and sue you, because you insisted on slippery socks and booties? All it takes is one old lady falling and breaking her hip or a father and husband slipping down a staircase (which is exactly what happened to my husband by the way at one house - thankfully he wasn't seriously hurt) and becoming severely disabled and your home owners insurance doesn't cover all of his or her medical expenses? Suddenly the sale of your house is the last thing you need to worry about.

This isn't about Americans being sue happy - dear Canadians - my daughter is a paralegal who just returned from working in Canada - people sue in every country - I know you have Plaintiffs Lawyers in Canada too. It's about thinking about two things, the safety of the people you invite into your home and your duty to provide a safe place for people to enter and view your home for possible purchase.

So your friends may take off their shoes and you haven't had a problem, yet, or your friends are young enough that they can stand and balance on one leg to put on or take of shoes or booties, I'm 54 and I can't balance like that anymore, and some younger people have balance problems or other conditions which make it hard to do, these are strangers you invited into your house for a commercial purpose - and you can't hope that everyone who enters your home is going to be like your friends, some people have disabilities.

If you notice, in all the Househunting shows in Hawaii, the folks are in sandals and are usually wandering around the house in bare feet. Something that most of you "pro no shoes" people found even more disgusting. At least they aren't forced to put on something that could cause them to slip and fall.

Sometimes, in certain situations, a polite custom has to be abandoned. I guess it's a matter of whether or not you are willing to play the odds and assume the risk for the sake of your convenience. I am not saying that it can't be a pain to come home and find black shoe marks on your travertine tile, or your newly cleaned carpet, but better to clean that up, than have to deal with an injury that would not have happened but for....

Oh yeah, and put me in that class of buyers who would not consider buying a home where I was forced to put on booties or take off my shoes for no apparent reason like snow, ice, mud, etc.

After my two experiences, I told my realtor, unless it is new construction and the builder has provided a safe place for me to remove my shoes and walk in the home, don't show it to me. Most new homes though have paper or vinyl runners down anyway, probably because builder's understand and appreciate the liability of people slipping in thier houses.

Of course once again, your bread may always land butter side up .... lucky you.

Off my soapbox now. :P

• sparksals
    17 years ago

mmelko - that certainly was a soapbox, quite frankly. And to be honest, no Canadians are not as sue happy as Americans because payouts are not as big there, not even close.

You do make some valid points, but at the same time, how many frivolous lawsuits have there been? Suing McD's because the person was negligent by putting a hot cup of coffee between their legs and opening the lid and then blaming McD's because they were burned?

There's two sides to lawsuit stories and the person filing the suit could be equally or more negligent.

I know of few people who have slipped and fallen because they weren't wearing shoes in the house. It's just as easy to trip wearing heels into view a home. Does that mean the potential buyer is going to sue over that too because they didn't remove their shoes and the seller should have told them to?

I really think you're grasping at straws and gave a particularly nasty post considering I agreed with you in your previous one. I do agree that people have to take responsibility when they're negligent, but then again, there are alot of ridiculous lawsuits because people are greedy.

• greg_h
    17 years ago

So you wouldn't sue if your wife slipped on a floor, hit her head, suffered a severe concussion and died, because she was wearing paper booties the owner of the house required buyers to wear when they entered their home?

There is no way that I would sue in that situation. It's called personal responsibility. I've walked around in socks before and know that it can be slippery, so it is my fault if I fall. Nobody forced me into a situation where I was uncomfortable. I could have walked away if I was that concerned about my safety. I chose to take my chances, and if something happens, then it is my fault.

The other situations you mentioned (air bags, etc) are cases where the person would not have any idea that what they are doing is hazardous, and the manufacturer should have known and warned the user. Suing in those cases is fine, and benefits society.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Here's an experiment. Turn on a local broadcast TV channel around 4pm and see how many commercials you see for slip and fall ambulance chasers and the poster in canada can do the same. The person with a higher count loses. Then you can go on judge judy and sue each other for miscounting the results.

• sue36
    17 years ago

"Suing McD's because the person was negligent by putting a hot cup of coffee between their legs and opening the lid and then blaming McD's because they were burned?"

Actually, that case was completely justified is you know the whole story.

McDonald's coffee is heated between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit, while coffee made at home is between 130 and 140 degrees.
    Over the past ten years McDonald's received 700 reports of patrons burning themselves with its super-heated coffee.
    The woman, 81-year-old Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was hospitalized for eight days and underwent skin graft operations for third-degree burns.
    The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages, which was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill.
    The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages.
    $2.7 million equals about two days of McDonald's coffee sales.
    The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 - or three times compensatory damages - even though the judge called McDonald's conduct reckless, callous and willful.
    We shall never know if a judge would have further reduced or even reversed the plaintiff's award on appeal because McDonald's elected to settle privately with Ms. Liebeck.
    Post-verdict investigation found that the temperature of coffee at the local Albuquerque McDonald's had dropped to 158 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, after the McDonald's award, Wendy's voluntarily suspended selling hot chocolate - which it sold mostly to children and heated to a scalding 180 degrees - until it could lower the temperature.

• greg_h
    17 years ago

Then you can go on judge judy and sue each other for miscounting the results.

Great idea quirky, except the Canadian wouldn't bother suing the American, because we are not a litigious society. :)

• C Marlin
    17 years ago

Ugh, as if the discussion of shoes wasn't contentious enough , now we have moved on to our litigious society and McD's.
    Who knew a Buying and Selling forum could be so imformative?

• sparksals
    17 years ago

sue36, yes I was aware of how the case turned out. However, my point was (and it was quoted in your post) that the person who was burned was found to be partially negligent. Really, what reasonable person would put a hot cup of coffee between their legs, with the lid removed, in a moving vehicle?

I also know that Mcd's was found negligent b/c their coffee was too hot, but this is a case where both parties were at fault.

I also agree that this thread has taken a different turn from shoes in the house, so I will refrain from posting more about legalities and litigation.

• peppermill
    17 years ago

I had no idea the shoe thing was such a big deal! This has been an interesting thread. I grew up in a house where we took off our shoes, and now that I have my own house, we don't wear our shoes in the house. And when guests come over, I just automatically ask them to take their shoes off. It never even crossed my mind that some people might not want to take their shoes off! Next time we have people over, I'll probably offer slippers, just in case people are uncomfortable taking their shoes off.

• C Marlin
    17 years ago

"Next time we have people over, I'll probably offer slippers, just in case people are uncomfortable taking their shoes off."

Eeew, I don't want to wear your slippers, call me in advance, I'll bring my own.

• Vivian Kaufman
    17 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking, cmarlin.

I've said it before--the dog can't take her feet off when she comes in... Might as well walk on the floors.

• peppermill
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip--I didn't realize offering slippers was another faux pas! I've been to friends' houses where they've offered me slippers, and I was happy to put them on. Different strokes, I guess.

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

In view of all the above discussions, it would stand to reason that if you had a party or a gathering of any sort, you should warn people that you are a shoe-off house, don't spring it on people at the door.
    Of course, people who know you and visit you often , would know your policy.

I personally will not put on provided slippers or walk barefeet at a dinner or gathering; I always bring shoes ( I live in Canada so we wear boots when it's bad, if it's dry, we don't)

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Call me strange, but something about bare feet at a dinner table makes me cringe. I've attended dinner functions in some very exclusive and expensive homes and wouldn't even think about removing my shoes upon entering the home. I actually think it's kinda tacky and if you're a "shoes off person" it should be reserved for a family only kinda gathering. I'm sure many on here will disagree.

• coolvt
    17 years ago

Now that we have agreed on the idea that shoes can track in germs, how are we going to be sure that the guests wash their hands before leaving the bathroom? Wow, can you imagine the germs there! I probably will never touch the bathroom doorknob in my house again. And I just remembered, one of my guests had her hands on the arms of the living room chair. Huh, I wonder if she washed them when she left the ladies room? I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

I'm a new user here and have been searching many of the forums. I was actually looking for comments on carpet shampooers, but somehow stumbled onto a subject about taking your shoes off; It's amazing how these threads can go so far off course so quickly! Well, I would just like to add my 2 cents, no offense to anyone:

I was personally raised in a home where you did not have to take off your shoes. My parents were, in my opinion, more worried about their kids (all 8 of them) than whether or not their floors were clean. Not to say our house was dirty, but it wasn't spotless and guess what? 7 of us are still here and healthy, and the 8th didn't die from our house being dirty (car accident... whole other story). Anyway, all I'm saying is that cleanliness can sometimes go overboard, to the point of being rude or just plain stupid. I'm also not saying that you can't raise kids & still have a clean house, you can, but too many ppl now put there house cleaning above their kids. And, honestly, I would much rather go into a house that wasn't spotless as opposed to spotless simply b/c I do not feel comfortable doing anything. Anybody agree? I know some of you have had to be in a house @ one time or another where you were afraid to move b/c you might accidentally knock something over or move something 1 cm out of place or put a water ring on something. I would much rather go into a house where I can walk in and leave my shoes on if I so choose, plop down on the couch and have a drink w/ whoever I'm visiting and relax and have fun, rather than having to be so conscience of every move I'm making every second I'm there! Again, I do not intend to offend anyone by my comments & I'm also not accusing anyone of anything, these are just my views. I just feel like ppl today are far more worried about what other ppl think and how they are portrayed to someone else that they forget about the important things in life. My grandma cross stitched a picture for me when I was born that says: Cleaning & scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow, for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs & dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby & babies don't keep. I think that is a wonderful motto to live by.

I also agree w/ whoever wrote about disinfecting everything. This has gone a little overboard too. There have been many reports stating that it isn't a good thing to disinfect so much, this is actually making ppl sicker and weakening ammune systems. For all of you that are talking about all of the germs being brought in on shoes, do you personally eat off of your floor or what?! Who cares what germs are on your floor! Do you realize how many germs are in/around your kitchen sink? Or on your tooth brushes? On money? On tons of different surfaces you touch each and every day w/o thinking about germs? Do any of you bite your finger nails, and if so, do you make it a habit of washing your hands beforehand? Think of the germs you're picking up there! I'm not trying to imply that I think disinfecting is a bad thing, or that germs are good, but come on, you can't get rid of all of the germs that you may come in contact w/ and you shouldn't want to. Ask any dr. and they will tell you that disinfecting every single thing can actually do more harm than good.

Sorry for rambling on, I just don't understand ppl sometimes! I agree w/ a comment I heard the other day: "Common sense isn't common anymore." Enough said.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

What has happened to respect? Like the OP, i've invested in new carpeting also, and have a little note on the door, but I noticed the *one* couple that came on Sunday didn't abide by my request. This to me, is flagrantly rude behavior, and for an adult, unexceptable. I wouldn't sell my home to that couple if they offered me top price.

Here's reality, folks. You go to the movie theater, buy a box of popcorn, and i'm sure you've sat down and grabbed the handle on the seat BEFORE reaching into that box of popcorn. And what about those lovely shopping carts? How many many of you have opened a box of cookies or chips to eat on the way home? Now let's go to the pet store and grab that scooper to scopop litter into our little pail. Gee, I wonder where the last 'scooper' had his hands? Why don't we go to chruch while were at it? There's good 'ol Henry(gives good hardy handshake), and you're stopping at I HOP for breakfast?? Sure, you always have your disposal package of sanitized cleaners handy, right?

Need I say more? Germs on the hands are picked up....... EVERYWHERE! Besides, you can get a real feeling for a dirty house versus a clean house as soon as you open the door, and your gut instinct will tell you to keep your shoes on/off. If it were so dirty that I couldn't take my shoes off, I would certainly walk. My floors are so clean you could eat off of them. I have cats that use a litter pan, but lets not talk about all the stuff you probably track into your own home every, single day.

It's my opinion that the meaning of respect for other people's wishes has been shunned~"nobody is going to tell me what to do". Seems to be the American attiture these days. It's no wonder kids are not the same as kids of twenty years ago. We were raised TO respect, and it's still alive and well in my home and family.

Off my soapbox now.

• sparksals
    16 years ago

mc_hudd

Anyway, all I'm saying is that cleanliness can sometimes go overboard, to the point of being rude or just plain stupid. .....snipped.......... Again, I do not intend to offend anyone by my comments & I'm also not accusing anyone of anything, these are just my views.

Pretty hard not to be offensive when you refer to people who prefer shoes off as rude and stupid.

If you read the thread, then you will see that it is regional. Where I come from, shoes come off. Period. It is disrespectful to the host and their home if you do not. It may not be kosher to remove shoes in your area, but it is expected and accepted in others.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

What if the sign read:

The carpet is new and the house smells like paint,
    removing your shoes will make you a saint.
    The floors will stay clean, new owners will smile,
    all will be happy, which makes it worthwhile.

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

Sparksals: I don't believe that I ever once in my comment said, "people who prefer shoes off are rude and stupid."

Patty_Cakes: "I wouldn't sell my home to that couple if they offered me top price."

This is just cutting off your nose to spite your face as far as I'm concerned, however, I agree completely w/ your germ statement.

"It's no wonder kids are not the same as kids of twenty years ago."

I'm gonna step on some toes w/ this one: Possibly the reason kids aren't the same as they were 20 yrs. ago is b/c ppl are more worried about keeping a spotless house so that rare unexpected guest can see how neat & tidy you are instead of paying attention to their kids and knowing what's going on w/ them. Has anyone ever thought that maybe when 'mom' is in the living room consumed by trying to get that stubborn spot up off the carpet that little 'Billy' might be in his room loading a shot gun to take to school w/ him the next day, or perhaps, 'Susie' is writing a suicide letter, or maybe even 'Bobby' is sitting there smoking a joint? 20 years ago, not nearly as much of this stuff happened as it does now.

I also never said in my comments that ppl shouldn't take off their shoes if it is the request of the homeowner. The point I was trying to make is that A) a clean house is not everything, there are more important things, B) the OP is trying to sell this house & yes, as annoying as it may be to vacuum everyday or clean the carpet weekly, that is just the price you have to pay, the potential buyers need to be kept as happy as possible, or like another poster said, they may be deterred from buying the house before they ever see it.

Now, on the flip-side, if it's rude for ppl not to take their shoes off in a house that has requested it, why is it not rude for the owner of your house to request it? Yes, I know, "This is my house, I make the rules." But, what if your visitor truly does have a phobia about not wearing shoes, or has a foot problem, whatever the case may be, isn't that the same thing? What if someone comes to your house barefoot? Are you going to insist that they scrub their feet before they come in? Or, perhaps, make them take their feet off? :) Again, if this is a regional custom, ok, great, if this is your house rules, ok, fine, but everyone needs to realize that not everyone goes by these rules and in the special case of selling the house, keep the customer happy as much as possible.

I honestly don't have a problem w/ the whole shoes off policy. I personally don't live by that, but that's my choice and if anyone comes to visit they have the choice to leave their shoes on or take them off, whichever they prefer. I also have a St. Bernard & a Choc. Lab that live w/ me and it is quite difficult to get their feet 100% free of dirt/mud when they come in so I don't think it would be fair to ask visitors to take off their shoes. On the other hand, I do take my shoes off if asked when visiting someone, I have no problem going sock/bare footed. I just think this thread got a little off course and I think there are too many ppl worried about germs. If you want to worry, fine, but there's no point, there will be germs, ppl will get sick, that's just how the world is.

• mary_md7
    16 years ago

"sshrivastava has a very different view of hospitality than I think most of us do. "My house, my way" is not how we usually present ourselves to our guests."

I totally agree, and this was put much more politely than my reaction to stark inhospitability on sstrivastava's part.

• newgardner_nc
    15 years ago

I was surprised by the number of negative response for removing the shoes.

Me and my husband always fight over this. We do not wear shores inside the house; when someone comes, I request them to remove the shoes and most open minded or educated people quickly recognize it as a sign of respect and also a common courtesy.
    I have had couple of people ask me why? I say to them "... besides being part of my culture, it is not all that hygienic to walk inside the house because your shoes might have lot of bacteria. In fact one of the guy said that he had similar request in a Japanese home. He went on to tell me that he would like to practice that in his house and especially teach this to his children.

My husband on the other hand does not like to ask people to remove the shoes, he does not even attempt to make that request. I get goose bumps when I see people walking inside with the shoes worn outside. Now we are building a house,he has agreed that I can put a sign outside, if I keep few rubber flipflops inside the house.

There are published papers in medical journals that support the claims that going barefoot is healthy. According to the scientific study, I have just picked up few excerpts showing wearing shoes at all times is not always the best option.

"People who have never worn shoes acquire very few foot defects, most of which are painless and non-debilitating. The range of their foot motions are remarkably great, allowing for full foot activity."

" Shoes are not necessary for healthy feet and children should not be encouraged to walk prematurely and should not wear any footwear until absolutely necessary."

"In cultures where they go barefoot inside their home do not develop PRONATION or SUPINATION. The best lateral stability can be observed in the barefoot condition. No instances among the barefoot feet were found of: Onychrocryptosis, Hyperidrosis, Bromidrosis, Hallux Valgus, Hallux Varus, Bursitis at the first or fifth metatarso-phalangeal articulations."

You know it is ok to learn and teach your children something that has value. Why is it bad to adopt something good from a different culture?

I am waiting for the onslaught.

• newgardner_nc
    15 years ago

" a clean house is not everything ", but good health is. "Health is Wealth"

If ppl have empathy, it is not rude for the owner of a house to request "please remove the shoes"

mc_hudd, it is always good to understand and respect other cultures. In my culture "Please" and "thank you" are rarely uttered. It is tone of voice that indicates "please" and it is the "facial expression" that reveals "thanks". People perceived me as "rude", but I quickly changed and I had to learn by making very conscious effort to say "please" and "thank you". Now that I have adopted, it has become part of my own culture. It enriches us to adopt part of a different culture when it has value. If you read my previous reply, you will note that going barefoot is healthy not just for germs but for your foot also.

The customs of old civilization has its own essence. For example, greeting people with joining your hands in lotus position instead of shaking hand has its own meaning. Cleaning the tongue after brushing the teeth has its own benefit.

• stumpyouch
    15 years ago

newgardener_nc,

How wonderful that you took the time to register just so you could dig up a dead thread and throw some more fuel on the fire. It's also wonderful that you insinuate that people who don't agree with you are not open minded or educated. It's nice to know you're prepared for the onslaught you hope to create.
    Just charming. Really.

• susanjn
    15 years ago

Remember the person whose family was addicted to slippers?

• C Marlin
    15 years ago

Why does this thread never die???
    I must be too narrow minded and uneducated to understand why.

LOL

• valtog
    15 years ago

I see this argument from both sides of the fence. I live in Maine where it is pretty much the custom to remove one's shoes when you enter a home. It stems from a very practical stand point. The weather here is extreme for most of the year. By removing one's shoes, you avoid tracking in dirt, road sand and salt, beach sand, snow, slush and everything else involved with the lifestyle here. I can tell how many of my kids' friends are here by counting the pairs of footwear in the hall. We are, for the most part, a shoes off house. On the other hand, I suffer from a genetic defect that makes walking without good footwear very painful. My podiatrist told me flat out that walking without proper support is the worst thing I can do. Walking with or without proper footwear can mean the difference between extreme pain or no pain. As much as I dislike it, I usually wear shoes in my home. And as far as bacteria goes, it is omnipresent, no matter how clean your home. You live with it constantly like it or not. It's part of life.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

And now that most regional housing markets are deep in a slump forecasted to last for at least another year if not longer, how much of the general attitude of "this is my house, I wouldn't sell to those dirt-bearing, inside-shoe-wearers" has remained?

BTW, I was struck by the March 2007 comment "I know of few people who have slipped and fallen because they weren't wearing shoes in the house." Earlier this year, I told my 80-yr old MIL to NOT take her shoes off any longer when we visit my nephew's home, after I discovered she had tripped on the sunken living room stairs after trying to walk around in the felt slippers they offered. They have tiled floors, as opposed to our many Oriental rugs covering HW flooring - so even though she is accustomed to wearing slippers inside the house, she was unprepared for how much more slippery the tile floors were in my nephew's house. Since we live in CA where there's more lawyers than the entire nation of Japan, the litigation risk is pretty high.

Me, I don't take my shoes off because my feet are in agony if I walk around barefoot for more than 10 minutes. I have problems in my yoga class specifically because of the standing postures. I'll take my shoes off for an open house if it's insisted on, but like some have expressed, it puts me in a negative state of mind.

In a buyer's market that is scheduled to remain one for quite some time, unless you are in a region where it's a common imperative to remove your shoes for either cultural or weather-related reasons, I'd think twice about insisting upon such a requirement from prospective buyers.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Ahhhh, not this subject brought back again! They must have a weird foot fetish,lol.
    I live in Maine, even with all the bad weather we have it is not customary to remove your shoes. People wear boots take them off and put their shoes on in the house. I would never ask guests to remove any article of clothing they have on. I care more about my family and friends then I do things. I'm not that lazy that I can't get out my cleaning supplies, broom or vac. and clean as needed. I would especially not have this policy if I were selling my home. As a buyer I would see this request as anal and think if we were to put in an offer that the sellers would be a pain in the @ss to deal with. I would serious think twice about making an offer. It's been 2 years but hopefully the OP took down the sign and purchased clear liners to go over the rugs. NancyLouise

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

We recently went to view a house for sale where the owners requested that shoes be removed. The house was empty and we looked inside to see all brand new laminate flooring. My real estate agent laughed and said she wasn't taking her shoes off for laminate floors, so we followed suit. We weren't really happy with the prospect of having to remove our shoes to look at a house.

• newgardner_nc
    15 years ago

Me and my husband did not agree on removing the shoes, I wanted to look up on the internet to see how others felt. This was meant to be a healthy discussion, but I didnt realize it is a touchy subject.

As for "open mindedness" is to the fact that it is not rude to request some one to remove the shoes, only if they can be open minded to understand other cultures in this global economy.

I expected people to discuss substance than emotions. I live in a warmer climate and really wasnt thinking of Maine/cold weather and for that I apologize.

What I really wanted to share was the medical aspect of shoes in general; not for those already suffering from problems. I have a close friend who has vein problems and she once told me if she could ware the shoes and explained the situation. From that day, I never asked her to remove the shoes.

The medical aspect:
    "In cultures where they go barefoot inside their home do not develop PRONATION or SUPINATION. The best lateral stability can be observed in the barefoot condition. No instances among the barefoot feet were found of: Onychrocryptosis, Hyperidrosis, Bromidrosis, Hallux Valgus, Hallux Varus, Bursitis at the first or fifth metatarso-phalangeal articulations."

" Shoes are not necessary for healthy feet and children should not be encouraged to walk prematurely and should not wear any footwear until absolutely necessary." This prevents or I should say allows for healthy development of their feet.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

As for "open mindedness" is to the fact that it is not rude to request some one to remove the shoes,

Can you be "open" to the idea that many people consider it rude to be asked to remove their shoes?

• triciae
    15 years ago

Wow, I can't believe I've resisted posting to this thread for soooo long! lol

I'm pretty convinced after reading thru the entire thread that it must be regional (?).

I've got an incredibly high arch & when I was a kid oxford shoes were popular for play & casual wear (think Buster Brown kind of shoes). Nobody could stuff my foot into those shoes! For school, I wore fancy black patent leather shoes & Dad punched extra holes in the straps so they would fit over my arch. Well, those shoes were expensive so Mom/Dad had me play at home barefoot to keep my shoes lasting longer. I still have trouble finding comfortable shoes...5" spike heels are the most comfortable shoe in the world when you've got an arch like mine! lol But, even today I'm almost always barefoot even in a New England winter (hey, I'm not that tough...I wear socks).

Then, fast forward 20 years & my son was born. He walked the week before he turned 8 months. Whew, what a PITA that was but that's another story. His doctor said NOT to put shoes on him until he was at least 2 years old or his little feet would be ruined. So, my DS learned to also love being barefoot.

Neither of us wear shoes in the house.

My DH, OTOH, has foot problems & finds being barefoot very uncomfortable.

I've always had a "No Shoes In The House" policy...sorta. I bend to individual situations. DH wears sneakers that don't go outside & I don't request elderly people or those I know who have foot problems to remove their shoes. For those who are physically able though I expect them to take off the dirty shoes before coming inside.

I live in CT & prior to that NH...both firmly in the northeast. I don't have to have a sign on the door because people just automatically take off their shoes. Even repairmen bring those blue booties to wear inside. They take the booties on/off every time they go out to their truck & come back inside. Guess I thought repairmen did that everywhere??? Sounds from this thread like I'm wrong...not every repairman wear booties.

It's common here to have booties available at Open Houses. Not at all Open Houses but enough that it shouldn't surprise anybody.

Also, we are boat owners & most of our friends are boat owners. You do NOT go onboard someone's boat with your shoes without asking permission. That's just a "no no"...period...same as saying, "Permission to board?" before just hopping on the boat. It's part of boating ettiquette. Boaters spend an inordinate amount of time swabbing decks & having a guest walk across the clean white deck with either mud or grass stuck to their shoes is reason to "walk the plank"!! I'm joking, of course! Anyway, it's habit to remove our shoes so we do it in each other's homes as well, I guess.

I find it a bit amusing how worked up people get over the topic. For those of you who don't like the germ aspect...do you have pets, do you hose your kids off outside before allowing them in the house after a good game of touch football on a rainy Sunday afternoon, & for the women...do you put your purse on the floor & then plop it down on your kitchen counter/table? For those of you who don't want to remove your shoes...I have a question.

My Dad would never remove his shoes when he came inside my home. I finally had a little father/daughter spat with him over the issue. He told me, "Patsy (his nickname for me), when I take off my shoes I feel less in charge, more vunerable, & less in stature & I don't like it!" I never asked Dad to take off his shoes again.

Do any of you feel that way?

/tricia

• charlie26
    15 years ago

Shoes on is fine at my house but I try to be sensitive to friends who prefer shoes off. That said, those friends need to be equally sympatico. I once met several girlfriends out for a swank lunch. One of the four insisted (on the way) that we stop at her new home for a tour. I hadn't planned on this and wore heels with long slacks. When she requested shoes off and we complied, my slacks dragged on the ground and I felt very sloppy. I was embarrassed and have politely refused invitations to her house since then.
    If you are shoes off only, please make sure that all guests have advance notice to avoid similar embarrassment.

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

You were embarrassed because your slacks dragged the floor? Why not just hold them up or roll them up or just laugh about it? You are amongst friends, why would something like that be embarrassing?

And you are willing to give up on a friendship because of this??? Repeatedly refusing invitations is a quick way to lose a friend. Wow, they must not be people you are very comfortable with much less friends.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

well... a few more posts and this maxes out and can die....

(150 is the limit, right?)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

And yes, I am very judgmental in this regard -- nothing wrong with that. If you wear the same shoes in your home that you do outside, you are a dirty person.

LOL! Well, I do feel like I want to wash my soul after reading some of these responses!

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

Yup, just another post and this thread should be DEAD!