Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasseller123

Buyers want to take Appliance Measurements

texasseller123
10 years ago

We just signed the deal to sell our home late Friday and will close in 2 weeks. We have bought and sold homes in the past, but we are dealing with a very inexperienced buyers realtor and first time buyers. We have felt insulted throughout the process for many reasons. Our Realtor forwarded a message sent yesterday afternoon requesting buyers and agent come to our house to measure for appliances at noon on Sunday. I really want a cooling off period from this unpleasant experience and can forward all measurements to buyers agent. Because this sale has been so emotional, can I deny the Buyers request for entry prior to closing? I feel this request will lead to many more requests prior to closing. This is still my home, correct? Just need to know if I am being unreasonable. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (33)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

In my opinion, this is a reasonable request. You probably have the right to deny them access to the house, but, yes, you are being unreasonable.

What reason do you have to believe that this request will lead to others? And why worry about things that haven't happened (future requests)?

Personally, if I were spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on appliances, I wouldn't be comfortable trusting some other person's measurements.

• azmom
    10 years ago

I would not provide them with measurements, so you won't bear the responsibilities if the measurements are wrong.

But I would allow the access only at the time slot when it is convenient to your family. You are preparing to move, you have a million things need to do.

Have your realtor shared with buyer's realtor as what made you feel being insulted? I thought your listing realtor should shield you from aggravations.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I'd allow it. I also understand feeling 'invaded', especially if the negotiations were unpleasant but this is not an unusual or inappropriate request. So I'd make it clear that they need to anticipate what other measurements they may find necessary prior to closing and make sure it's ALL handled in one appointment. I'd also have a time frame - allow them from 2 - 3 pm or whatever works for you.

• rrah
    10 years ago

A two week closing indicates to me that this is a cash deal. Mortgages typically take longer than two weeks. If it's a cash deal I might accommodate them one time, and let them know it's a one time only thing. You will be busy packing or whatever.

Another option is to suggest they do these measurements during any scheduled inspection or appraisal.

As others have said, I would not recommend you send them measurements. You don't want to be responsible for that if there is a mistake.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Give them two or three time slots that are convenient for YOU and ask them to pick one and get ALL the measurements over and done with.

It's a reasonable request, but asking you for a time that is convenient for you - several times and have you pick one - would have been less rude.

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

I'm going to say that under the circumstances (the realtor and buyers being difficult) I would strongly consider telling them no. They can wait 2 weeks until they own the home.

I know someone who let buyers back into the house and then was ambushed at closing with some picky things they had discovered that weren't too their liking. The buyers demanded a price reduction at the closing table and the seller gave in as they were moving out of state that very day and were afraid the sale would fall through otherwise. They regretted letting the buyers back in for some measurements.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I think it petty not to allow them in to take measurements for new appliances. Let them know through your agent that they can have an hour to take any and all measurements they need and that, from then on, you'll be busy packing and won't be able to accommodate any further visits.

They are buying your house, you know!

• xamsx
    10 years ago

I would tell them no. They can wait two weeks, or come with the inspector to measure. Under no circumstances should you provide the measurements for all the reasons stated above.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I think things could get a WHOLE LOT more unpleasant if you stay with your current thinking.

What's the big deal? Courtesy goes a long way....

• camlan
    10 years ago

I'd let them come once, for an hour, at a day and time that was convenient to me. I'd have their agent make it very, very clear to them that this would be their one and only time in the house until they officially take possession.

I wouldn't leave the house while they were there, and I'd stay in the room with them, just to oversee things.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I agree, let them come one time for measurements. It would be unreasonable not to let them measure if the refrigerator is not staying with the house.

• texasseller123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of your responses. Part of my feeling stems from the fact that this is not a cash deal and their bank appraiser came in $13,000 light on our agreed price.We had a ten day option period with the buyers that was extended waiting on their appraisal. After the Inspection Report their inexperienced realtor sent almost the entire report asking us to update codes on a 17 year old home (new guttes , etc?) that has no major issues or any major repairs. We are in a Sellers market and had multiple offers. Practically a bidding war with 36 showings over a 4 day period. Initially they sent a glowing letter about how much they loved our house and how beautiful it was and then tried to negotiate price and appraisal difference by nit picking anything and everything they could think of. I am trying to be reasonable, and have told our agent I will agree to accommodate their wishes if I am given 24 hours notice. Thanks for allowing me to vent and sharing your thoughts and taking the time to assist me.

• texasseller123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, yes, we settled for $12,000.00 less than asking and agreed to price over too many rounds of back and forth negotiating and we settled so we can move into our new home and take equity. It is still very emotional for me.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

This sounds eerily similar to our situation, from the naive but pushy buyers asking for the moon and stars, to the nitpicking, to the request that they be allowed to bring mom & dad over to show them "their" new house (totally serious - and a full month before closing).
    Our buyers are also first-timers, and very young, and it has been clear to us throughout the process that no one has ever told these kids "no". The attitude of entitlement displayed by both of them would take your breath away.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

You do realize they had no control over the appraisal though. Not within their control at all as they do not get to choose the appraiser and neither does their bank. If you were buying and the appraisal came in low I would have expected you to negotiate as well as nobody wants to overpay so please don't hold that against them.

As for the inspection - that is nothing uncommon either. I got some of those requests when selling too and my buyers were experienced. I just said no to all those things and said they can't expect a house from 1979 to be up to code. We had no issues. It is all part of normal selling/buying negotiating.

Good Luck to you and hope you have an uneventful closing.

• texasseller123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do not blame them for the appraisal. If they can afford new appliances they should not had negotiated price by stating that they had no additional money. I know I am being emotional and just need a cooling off period. Again, thank you for all your responses. I think I needed to vent and most responses reminded me that business is business.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

How did you have multiple offers but no bidding war? And then settle for $12,000 below asking price with so many offers?
    Maybe their agent isn't as inexperienced as you may think.

• camlan
    10 years ago

About the new appliances--I know at least 4 couples who purchased their first home. Then their parents bought them some new appliances as a housewarming gift. So it is possible that a) someone else is paying for them or b) they budgeted the cost of the new appliances into their offer, offering less because they knew they wanted to buy new stuff.

Focus on the fact that you sold the house! And look forward to your move. This will all be over soon.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I hope the venting helped as well as hearing from others it isn't unusual.

Like camlan said it could be somebody is buying them for them or they could be using credit cards to buy them. Neither which could be used for the house.

I know the feeling though of second guessing when somebody says they don't have money and goes for buying something you think is costly. However if the appraisal is lower unless the house was absolutely above and beyond what else could be found with no upgrades needed at all I would as a buyer not want to overpay anyways.

• jonw9
    10 years ago

Are you leaving your appliances? Perhaps the buyers have no option other than to buy new ones. Home Depot (etc.) has 0% financing, so perhaps that is the method used to acquire the necessary extravagances to make the home livable.

• C Marlin
    10 years ago

How did you have multiple offers but no bidding war? And then settle for $12,000 below asking price with so many offers?

I wondered this also, unless it was very overpriced to begin with, here the bidding wars takes over list, by a lot.

• texasseller123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will answer questions although I am still being insulted. I am not taking my appliances that the only thing wrong with them, I feel, as that I like a white kitchen and the appliances are white. We have a two story home with 2 year old hand scraped hardwoods on all first floor including Kithen, Guest Bath. Only Baths and Laundry Room have tile. The upstairs carpet is less than a year old. All window have either Plantation Shutters or wood blinds. We have a waterfall pool with heater and fountain, with professional landscaping. Our home is located on a corner lot that backs up to a Greenbelt with a hike and bike trail, and in a city outside of Dallas that has been named one of the 10 best cities to live in the United States. My mistake was to get sentimental about selling the home where I raised my children and contract with a couple who wrote a very nice letter, offered more than list price and implied to my REA that they had the cash to back up their offer. I apologize for not knowing my audience. I went to this site many times seeking advice on how to stage and sell my home and found wonderful information that I used to prepare my home for the market and also to build my new home that I am now focusing on and getting back to my excitement on moving. My home sale did not go as I expected at all, but I do appreciate everyone's time and words of encouragement. Lessons learned.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Maybe you could give them the make and models of the appliances which would allow them to look the appliances, and their dimensions, up on the internet (or provide them out of your manuals, if you still have them), avoiding a visit altogether.

However, I agree -- you do need a cooling off period. I am trying to be as kind as possible, here. I understand this is an emotional time, but if you are "insulted" by every thing they have done, and by every anonymous commenter on an internet forum, something is wrong with your viewpoint. All that negative talk is making you miserable.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I agree with Violet. You need a long cooling period.

I don't see where anyone insulted you. You asked for opinions and advice, but you seem to get upset when those responses don't agree with your viewpoint. If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them.

Your home sounds lovely and apparently was extremely attractive to your market. Congratulations.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Geez, I forgot what I was going to write in my message above!

Fourteen years ago we bought an elaborate home from a widow who lived alone. She was seen by many in our community as just a bit odd - she was from back east, and this house was in a Midwestern farming community. So she didn't "fit" the norm. Anyway, we asked if we could come to the house at her convenience - a couple of weeks before closing - to measure for area rugs to lay over the hardwood floor in the dining room. She said no. Her reason was that the house was a mess, full of boxes and in general disarray.

I was really ticked then and obviously I have remembered it all these years. I didn't care if her house was a mess. Obviously it was going to be really messy when we started to move in! What was the big deal? It made us really wonder if something was going on in the house that she didn't want us to see.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

TexasSeller wrote...
    "My mistake was to get sentimental about selling the home where I raised my children and contract with a couple who wrote a very nice letter, offered more than list price and implied to my REA that they had the cash to back up their offer."
    It is understandable how you feel. You have lived there a long time. But the buyers were willing to pay you MORE THAN LIST PRICE! But they have no control that it did not appraise for this number. It sounds like you expected them to overpay for the property. It sounds like they did offer you $1000 over the appraisal price. Sounds like a very fair deal to most of us here.
    I understand that this forum can be fairly raw... it definitely is not the House Decorating forum... it is more or less a business forum. That is why maybe you feel as though you are being insulted. You are not. You are just being reminded to treat it as a business deal as much as possible.
    BTW... if your pool cost you $80,000 to build, the appraiser probably gave you anywhere from 25% - 50% of that.

• texasseller123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new owners REA called and clarified that they need to measure for washer and dryer in laundry room and space for new refrigerator. She made an appointment for 5:00 today giving the required 24 hours notice. It is amazing what a difference a few days away from the stress of negotiation has made for me. My family and I can now focus on moving to our new house and begin packing tomorrow. I did learn a lot from this forum leading up to the sale of my home and I am grateful for that knowledge, and, again, appreciate all of your time and wisdom.

• sweet_tea
    10 years ago

When they told you they didn't have any more money (to go above appraisal price), they could have been sincere, even though they are getting new appliances.

It is possible they are putting the new appliances on a credit card...like some of those deals with no interest for 24 months. This is different than coming up with a couple thousand dollars lump sum right now.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I hope after the craziness of the sale and move ends, you take some time for yourself to smell the roses.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Glad you are feeling better. It is amazing the emotional toll that the entire buying and selling process can make. Now that my move is many many months behind me, I am amazed that I made it through with my wits and marriage intact. It was touch and go for both for a while. Hope you and your family enjoy your new home.

(and if it makes you feel any better, my buyers were in and out of my house more times than I can count. And that is even with my REA shielding me from many of their requests, she jokingly called the wife a "borderline stalker". We also caught them doing frequent drivebys, talking to the contracters that we had hired to complete agreed upon repairs, and walking around our yard. I just chalked it up to them being eager to move into their new house....and maybe a bit of crazy)

• kats_meow
    10 years ago

I have been both a buyer and seller several times. I have to say that as a buyer I've always felt that the seller should reasonably accommodate requests for access to the house before closing. I have been careful to give plenty of notice and to schedule it around what was convenient for the seller. As a seller I have gladly done the same for the buyer. It costs me little to be courteous and to treat the buyer as I wanted to be treated as a buyer.

Someone mentioned above a buyer wanting to show house to parents before closing, seemingly thinking it was unreasonable.

I remember some years ago when we were buying a house and my parents - who lived out of town - visiting before we closed. I really wanted them to see what was to be "my" house in just a few weeks. Yes, I knew it wasn't mine yet but knew it would be soon. I also needed to do some measurements and so asked for the opportunity to visit to do these things. The sellers consented and graciously allowed this. I have a photo of my father taken in the house and is the last "healthy" photo I have of him. He never actually ever saw the house again after that visit as a few weeks later he was diagnosed with lung cancer and died a few months later. So, yes, I'm glad the sellers allowed the visit.

When we bought our current home we brought a contractor buy to do measurements. We wanted to apply before closing for HOA approval to do a fence and wanted to measure for some work inside the house as we wanted to start on the work immediately on closing. HOA approval could take weeks and getting a jump on it was important to us. Again, the seller had no objection to allowing the visit.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

1. The appraiser wasn't "their" appraiser--- s/he was hired by their mortgage lender to determine the real market value--- not what you wanted or what they were willing to pay.

2. If the house doesn't appraise, the seller has to drop the price or the buyer brings that extra cash, not included in the mortgage, to the table. Bidding wars are funny like that--- they often conclude in a failed contract if the house doesn't appraise. You would likely had had the same situation with any buyer.

3. Everyone thinks their house is something really special. It is. To you. Your emotional connection with the house doesn't add value to the property.

4. The vast majority of buyers prefer stainless steel appliances over white. Why on earth should that offend you?

It's surprising to hear frequent comments that reveal how little people actually understand about buying and selling real estate. And people here are light years ahead in terms of their understanding of the process, so I shudder to think how uninformed the general public must be.

I'm glad you "cooled off" and will let the buyers measure for their new appliances and hope you will be happy in your new home.