Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon68_gw

Frustrated with the Selling Process!! Long post

sharon68
10 years ago

I'm sure I'm not the only one but selling my house is driving me insane. We went on the market in mid-May for $590k which was more than I thought we should but I deferred to my realtor's opinion (my research suggested $579k would have been better) since I am a first time seller and he is an expert. We got a good number of showings at that price (8-10) in the first 3 weeks. Buyers all said they liked the house but...all passed. Negatives were all things that were obvious from the listing (like no walkout basement, no deck) so being an avid peruser of this site I knew that it was price. After 3 weeks I convinced the hubby we should drop price to $574k. We got some more traffic at this price like 6 more showings but again no takers. This time no negative feedback at all just no offers. 3 more weeks and we dropped price to $568. We've been at $568 for two weeks. Have had 3 showings, one of which was a second showing. The people who had the second showing just faded away stopped returning my realtor's calls.

Realtor says that right now nothing is going under contract in my area and price range which after some research seems to be true. There isn't a lot on the market in my area and size/type/condition of home, just me and a few homes with some definite issues (one faces a major street, one has a backyard with a very steep drop off and no fence, another is a long way from the downtown area).

So has the market just hit a lull and there are no buyers looking or should I be thinking drop the price again? I know conventional wisdom is if you don't have showings drop the price but can't it be true that the house is priced right but there simply aren't buyers in your price bracket at the moment? Or is that just a seller's rationalization :)

Oh - there aren't many sold comps in my neighborhood, not many houses go on sale but the most recent two that sold both sold for over $600k so we are significantly under them already.

For those who'd suggest another price drop where would you drop it to? At this point I'm thinking drop it enough that people flock to it and maybe get multiple offers, but since we aren't new to the market is it too late to try to drive multiple offers? Would a price like $549k get that kind of response? I don't want to give the house away because I don't have to move but I want to because my commute is no longer convenient to my job.

Comments (12)

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Sometimes you just have to wait. Here's why:

Our house has been on the market now for something like 380 days. We have a newer manufactured house on acreage in a rural area and have had fifteen showings in that time. I know just about everyone on here would have screamed 'lower the price,' and we could have. Here are the words I'm sure everyone is dreading "We didn't need to sell."

So every time I was telling DH and my realtor I wanted to drop the price the realtor would show me the numbers for the area. No one in our area or surrounding areas were getting showings. Times would come and go where maybe we'd get a showing, but they either couldn't get qualified or decided to buy in town.

We knew because we had acreage (ten acres and mostly treed with a walking/ATV trail and fire pits) we would be sitting for a while. I kept telling DH (and even my realtor when we hit a year on the market) I had read a post somewhere on this forum saying "If you want an idea of how long it will take you to sell your house look at the last time it's sold." So true! We were actually a week off from how long the house had sat when we bought it.

So I'm trying to say you just have to wait. We would have kicked ourselves up and down if we kept dropping the price because of the dry spells. Then out of nowhere a family came along and found our place. Well they had been looking for our place for a year and figured out they were looking too low. Low and behold we have an offer and have worked out the kinks and are awaiting the appraisal.

I agree with what you said people on here love to sing the song of lowering the price, and usually I would agree with them. Sometimes you just have to sit tight. You didn't say how long the DOM is for your area, but you may not have been on the market for very long. We also have just over a years worth of inventory in our area which also makes a difference.

Also take this time to really figure out what you want in your next house if you haven't already. This time of no activity can actually help you to decide on what it is you really want.

Good luck.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

IowaCommute has some good points. it really is difficult from my laptop to suggest what to do. You need your agent to calculate the absorption rate of your immediate area. This shows the rate that homes are being sold per month. If 3 comparable homes have sold in the last 12 months, and there are now 12 homes Active in the market, then the Absorption Rate is about 48 months. (I used an extreme example) If this is the case then yes, you just have to wait every 4 months for that new buyer to come into the buyer pool. But, once they get there, you want to be priced correctly so you are the one that gets chosen first. Or wait another 4 months (on average) for the next buyer to enter this buyer pool.This is WeedyAcres problem. Her market, if I remember right, has an absorption rate of about one buyer every 4 months. (I forget how many Actives she has competing with her.)
    On the other hand, if your Absorption Rate is really low, and you are still not getting offers, then you are overpriced, plain and simple.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

In May, the interest rate was still in the 3% range (3.5; 3.75, etc). We are now in 4% range (4.5ish)... I truly think some people are now "out of range" of what they may have been looking at in the spring. And, so now they have to adjust their "box". They had been looking at nicer homes then, than they now can afford...

I hope you get some takers soon!

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

We listed our house in mid-May, 2009. It was the beginning of the housing crash in the NYC suburbs. We had a lot of showings initially, and a few low ball offers which we refused. We pulled the listing for 2 weeks, dropped the price end of June, about 5%. We had a few more showings but it really slowed down and by August, I refused to drop the price again and decided we would pull the house if we didn't have an offer by October.

End of August suddenly we had multiple second showings. People who saw the house in May and June returned and I got 3 offers the last week in August. We went to contract first week in September.

Your situation feels similar to mine except I did not live in a rural area. But multiple showings initially, suggest interest and those people might return if they haven't found a house by August.

I would wait and not drop your price if you feel it is priced right. I think its a lull and will pick up in August because people need to get their kids signed up for school. They are running out of time. BTW, I rejected all offers except our full list price and we got it.

Jane

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think right now is prime vacation time so probably less people looking. I wouldn't worry unless other houses are selling.

• sharon68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I will be talking to my realtor today but I think I'm going to hold firm at my price for a bit longer since nothing else is selling right now.

• jane_davis123
    10 years ago

I think you should wait for right time..!!Land, gold, and house are three valuable assets and their value can never decrease. May be right now you are not targeting right buyer.

This post was edited by jane_davis123 on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 8:37

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Umm... where have you been Jane?
    Housing prices plummeted in many areas.

To say their value can NEVER DECREASE is flat-out wrong.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

All three cited examples have decreased.
    Maybe Jane means over a long term period.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Jane just joined today and is posting odd posts on a number of threads. Not spam yet....

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Please distinguish between Jane__NY and Jane Davis123.

I'm Jane NY and have been a member forever...even before the date on MY Page as I got banned by Spike for an argument on Organic Gardening and had to re-register!

I'm an old timer.

Thanks,
    Jane__NY