Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgrin2000

Trash can

rgrin2000
9 years ago

We're putting our house on the market next week and our kitchen trashcan broke. It's a small kitchen without a single cabinet that can hold a trashcan, so the trashcan has to sit visible at the the end of the countertop. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a trashcan that might not even fit in our new house, but need something to use for now. Any ideas?

By the way, we've got wooden cabinets, Light-colored Formica counters, and black/stainless appliances, if that makes a difference.

Comments (12)

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I always take my kitchen trash can out of the house for showings, so I would just purchase something to get by with for now.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I keep a trashcan out in my garage for all of the odds 'n ends that tend to come in from outside like loose cups and stuff from the car, plants I trimmed, etc. Do you have one of those? If not, just buy something cheap and take it out when you show the house. I wouldn't want to emphasize during showings that you don't have a place for the trashcan.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I would take a command hook or 2, place them inside the sink cabinet to hold a plastic bag (like Wal-Mart ones) and be sure to take the trash out whenever you leave or for a showing.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

We put our kitchen trash can out in the garage during showings.

• lizzie_nh
    9 years ago

Yup, no trash can. We used to have a big visible one, then shortly before going on the market we pared down to a tiny one under the sink (which you say you can't do.) But its location didn't matter because we removed the bag of trash for every showing (as we did with bathroom trash, etc..) I like the idea of the hook under the sink and removing the bag before a showing. If you don't have a basement or garage where you can stash the trash, put it in your car. No car? Get into the habit of bringing your trash wherever it goes (dump, dumpster, whatever) on a near-daily basis so that you only have a tiny bit in the house at any time and have a big tote bag you carry off with you.

(Do you really not even have room under the kitchen sink for a wastebasket? With two people in our household that was sufficient with frequent emptying.)

• rgrin2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, we really don't have room under the sink. The previous owners built an organizer into the lower sink cabinet. Great for organizing the box of trashbags and bottles of dishsoap laying on their side. But the shelves are too short for even a dinky bathroom trash can. I will try to convince my husband to go without and just take a bag out every day. He's the one who thinks we need a big monstrosity in the kitchen. (I'm truly not sorry the other one broke. But don't tell him that!)

• C Marlin
    9 years ago

I agree, no visible trash cans. I never like them...

• TehyaJenZ6
    9 years ago

Don't stress it IMHO. Get a can with a lid and don't give it another thought. What kind of buyer would not be interested because they could see a trash can?

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

I'd be interested in finding out that there is no room for a can under the sink!

• Minnie Mouse
    9 years ago

OK, the person my realtor sent to take our photos left the trash can in the photos of the kitchen. We didn't know any better. But isn't that why we are hiring a realtor?

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

What the???? Lose the pic with the trash in it Ehfivesixtwo.

And to anyone trying to sell their place FOR cryin' out loud put the trash out when there is a showing.

Is this question for real???

• brede
    9 years ago

We've never lived in a home where we had the ability to have a hidden trash can. Years ago, I bought a round wicker laundry hamper with a lid, doubled lined it with two standard tall kitchen trash bags, and have been using it as a "visible" trash can for years. I get so many compliments on my trash can! lol