Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needahouse_gw

Attic

needahouse
9 years ago

Pull down attic door in master bedroom.... Thots..

Comments (7)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Did you have a question?

• rrah
    9 years ago

I "think" the OP is asking for THOUGHTS on a pull down attic door in a master bedroom.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

If you don't have an attic, it is nice for storage no matter where it is. If you don't have a basement, then that attic space is a must I think. You have to have a place for STUFF.

And --- in the master bedroom. Hmmmmm --- sometimes you might want to get away. LOL

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think it would creep me out. A bit.

but I don't have a basement or attic. Thank goodness a basement would creep me out for sure.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

No. I would not want a pull down door in my bedroom if I could avoid it. For one things, attics usually don't have temperature control. Your pull down is going to have a bit of air leakage around it. I wouldn't want to have weird temperature control in my bedroom. Pull down stairs usually need an area of space under them in order to be pulled down. Most bedrooms don't have that extra space. You'd be moving stuff around every time you wanted to go up there. The pull downs I've seen usually have a rope hanging down. I would hate to be in bed staring up at that every night.

Only if I had no other access to the attic, I would have a pull down in my bedroom. Preferably, attic access would be in a hallway or a garage. Given the choice, I'd rather have level walk-in access from an upstairs room or stair access. it all depends on the design of your house.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The pulldown attic stairs in houses I've lived in have been in a hallway outside the bedrooms. That placed the pull-downs under the tallest part of the attic, and had the added benefit of opening the pull-downs in a straight run of hallway.

The non-pulldown attic access was usually in a closet ceiling (bedroom closet or general storage closet) -- or once, in the hallway outside a bathroom.

• lizzie_nh
    9 years ago

It depends. All attics I have lived with have had trap doors in a bedroom (usually master) in a closet. If the attic is not insulated properly, insulate it, and you can get trap doors which have very good seals. There are some pull-down stairs which don't need much space and can likely be accommodated with the closet doors open. (Our trapdoor in our bedroom is actually just a board that rests in the opening, and we've had no temperature control issues in the bedroom. Yes, the attic gets extremely hot, but that doesn't affect the room below. We don't notice loss of heat in the winter, either. The attic is fully insulated and vented.)

Or, think about how often you'd actually need access... even if the trap door is in the middle of the room above furniture, you could probably move the furniture if you didn't need to access the attic very often. We have a walkout basement (totally non-creepy... not like an old cellar...) so we don't use the attic for anything at all.

From the standpoint of creepiness.... it reminds me of growing up in our house from the 1800s, with the attic opening in my bedroom. It TERRIFIED me. I was okay as an adult until I saw that Paranormal Activity movie. That fear has passed and I am okay with it again. :-)

This post was edited by lizzie_nh on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 15:35