Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belfastbound_gw

Open House: Encourage buyers to use Front Entry Door?

BelfastBound
9 years ago

It is not unusual for New Englanders to never use their front door. In my town, people often put a large flower pot at the front door to signal use the "farmer's porch" entrance.

Our front center entry has a dramatic 3 story foyer from which you can enter the living room or enter the dining room or walk straight into the kitchen.

Our farmer's porch lands you in a hall to the kitchen, but offers a direct view to sliders and the patio in the backyard.

Should I encourage buyers to use one or the other? Thanks to all who take time out of their day to help us out.

Comments (7)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Front door!

They'll use whichever, but if you put the key box on the front door, they are more likely to go into the front door. They'll check out both doors, but are more likely to seek the side door, and not "seek" the front door, imo.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Put up a cute directional arrow in front of the farmer's porch directing people to the main entrance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cute directional arrows on Pinterest

• BelfastBound
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Graywings - Thanks for the chuckle. Highlight of my day.
    Ok Front Door it is. I suppose, "Thank you for coming, Right this way please" is a little too long.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Or, "Keybox on front door" --->

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

FWIW I'm also in New England.

For an open house - I've seen 2 things. If the weather is nice, they just prop the front door open- so it's obvious that you enter at the open door. In not so nice weather - those Open House realtor signs with the arrows - the ones that get placed at every intersection leading to your house - one of those is stuck in the ground near the front door.

For regular showings, if the lock box is on the front door that is the door people will use. Why get the key there and then go to a different door?

• lizzie_nh
    9 years ago

Funny. (Also in New England.) It's so true about not using our front doors, but in our experience buyers and their agents do proceed straight to the front door, despite what door they might use in their own home, or when visiting friends or family. We actually don't want them to come in the front door, as we think the initial impression from the side door is actually better in our case. Front is a center entry, with a central staircase in the house, but it's not a very functional entry... it's cramped and no place to put shoes. We put the lock box on the side door, but it's never used as our realtor has always attended showings. Our realtor thinks it is "off-putting" to redirect people away from the way they first attempt to enter (I disagree) so most people keep coming through the front.

I agree with the sign ideas.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I personally think signs may backfire because they draw attention to the fact that it may not be obvious where your entry is. Just let people decide for themselves or maybe indicate the main entrance with flanking flower pots and a wreath.