Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sippy_spence

Advice on kids' shared bedroom before listing

sippy_spence
10 years ago

First time poster, long time lurker here. We are getting ready to list our condo, and I was hoping to get a little bit of feedback concerning my kids' shared bedroom. We have what I think is a pretty nice paint job, but I realize that orange stripes probably won't appeal to most people! If we list our house now, we are not going to be able to repaint the room since we will not have anywhere else to stash the kids and all of their things. However, if we wait for a few weeks we will probably be able to paint the room the same neutral color as most of the rest of the condo and possibly stage it as an office or else leave it completely empty.

My question is, is it better to list sooner rather than later and just leave the room as-is, or would it be better to hold off on listing until we can paint?

I will attempt to upload a photo to show the room, and I apologize for the terrible lighting. (I took the picture at dusk while it was raining outside, so needed to have the floor lamp on, but hopefully this is good enough.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (4)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd list it sooner rather than later because now is when people are starting to look for housing. It's cute. Do you think that someone with a child might buy your condo?
    If you wanted to, you could add a little sign, offering to repaint or a paint allowance. Maybe ask your realtor.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I'd list it now, noting you'd be willing to paint it. I would, however, take up the floor rug. the competing stripes are messing with me.

• gmp3
    10 years ago

List now, but I agree about the rug, it is darling for your kids, but maybe busy for buyers. I would also remove the decals on the walls and make the room as clutter free as possible, even if you have a laundry basket to carry extra stuffed animals, etc. with you for showings. Also NO diaper pail in the room, take it with you if you have to or hide it in the garage, even if it is a diaper genie or something. Add a sign saying you will paint this room a color of the buyer's choice if they prefer.

• ShanaMaiya
    10 years ago

I agree with listing it now and with what others said about offering a paint allowance or offering to repaint it. I think the room is adorable and we don't even have children. I am probably in the minority, but I would have no problem leaving it with that paint and having my office in there! It's bright and fun!

Our office in the home we just sold was painted a green faux technique which was quite dated. We planned to repaint it, but to our amazement some people actually LIKED it. We also had a retro blue accent wall in the living room that I thought may be offputting, but most people loved it and the woman who bought the house said that it was her favorite color. So... you never know!

Also, in the house we are closing on, there is a child's bedroom painted in bright pink with a mural of a huge tree. Again, we don't have children, but it's so pretty that I plan on leaving the tree. I just plan to carefully paint around it in sky blue.

So it all depends on your buyer. If you offer a paint allowance or to repaint I don't think you can go wrong. For me, I always look past the paint anyway. In the house we are buying, the entry is a bright orange. I may not mind that for an office, but not for an entry! ;)