Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mswiggi

Drainage Easement?

mswiggi
11 years ago

First time homebuyer here, we are looking to purchase a house and have the tax map.

I'm slightly confused there is a drainage easement around the property...what exactly does this mean? Is this easement in addition to our land or apart of out 2.926 acres?

Ours is lot 6

Comments (4)

• rrah
    11 years ago

The easement is on your lot.

I understand what a drainage easement is, and I would be a bit concerned about a property and neighborhood that required a drainage easement around the entire thing. I've seen drainage easements along one or two sides of property. I've never seen a property surrounded by this type of easement. It appears as if there is already a plan to build a ditch on the adjacent lot.

• cas66ragtop
    11 years ago

The 2.926 Acres is your total lot area, including easements. Your easements double as building restriction lines (BRLs). All it means is you cannot build any permanent structure within 25 feet of any lot line. Whoever is in charge of building or maintaining drainage channels has the right to access that area and do grading. As big as your lots are, I doubt they are burying pipe, they are probably constructing open ditches. Usually after everything is graded and houses are built, you will never see anyone there again - unless of course somebody has drainage problems.

See the heavier solid line with 4 dots that runs along the front and between Lots 6 and 7? That line represents a drainage ditch to be built. They plan to built a 140' long ditch between the lots, which isn't that bad considering you have 578 feet. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with that ditch as I would be the one that runs the full length of the front yard. If the lots are not built yet - I would want to know how deep and how wide this ditch will be - and how steep the slopes are. Of course the steeper the slope the more of a pain it will be to mow. And then you also want to ask how the ditch will be built. Will it be a mowable grass slope? Or will it be riprap (rock)?

I also see what looks like an existing stream (or ditch) on the rear corner of the lot and running across Lot 5. If this is truly a stream, there may be a flood plain boundary there. Which means you can't build within X feet of this line. Don't be too alarmed at the word "flood plain" - it does not neccessarily mean that it frequently floods. It appears the house will be around where the number 6 appears, so you'll be plenty far from the flood plain if there is one. It just might affect a where you can put a storage shed or detached garage is all.

I do not see where driveway, the well or the septic area is proposed. You will need to know these locations so you know how to site the house.

Sorry - I probably gave you way too much info! Whoever is selling this should have provided you with all this info! Good luck

• Tammy Walczak
    8 years ago

Cas66, by any chance would there be wetlands in drainage easements? Is it possible to hide wetlands in one? I am questioning that on some property myself.

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

First of all, mrs_tammy94, you likely wll not get a reply from Cas66 as this thread is 3+ years old.

I am in the MD suburbs of DC. Large wooded lot (~3/4 acres) with a creek. I have a drainage easement that occupies about half of my lot 50-60 feet either side of the creek which flows into Rock Creek Park.

There is no entitlement to build or re-grade anything on the part of the County nor any other entity. There is a prohibition of any construction or paving by anyone. (Meaning me. lol)

When I bought, a site survey determined a permitted porch had been erected on the rear of my home and hung out over the easement (an "air encroachment.") Taken care of.

Five years ago I had a valid need to move my heat pump outside unit to the rear of my home and a few inchs into the easement. Again, I took care of it.

And finally, 15 years ago I wanted to put up a split rail fence behind my home. I signed a letter of agreement with the County, filed with my deed, agreeing that should access be required I would pay for temporary removal and re-installation of any required fencing.

I view none of these "issues" to be of concern, but I fully documented these issues and paid to record these encumbers. And, should I sell, they will be fully disclosed up front and should pop up again during a Title Search.