Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time homebuyer with shaky credit--extremely stressed!

Posted by kg44 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 18:02

Here is our situation: Our credit has been very shaky in the past, but has been better the past few years. My husband recently applied for and was approved for a Sear's Master Gold Card with a limit of $5,000. This led us to wondering if we could qualify to buy a house. The mortgage will be in my husband's name only (my name will also be on deed), and he has a VA certificate. His credit score is 632. We have a realtor and a mortgage broker. We have made an offer on a house and have a contract. The VA has done the appraisal, and we are waiting on it to come back. Owners are pushing to close by 6/30 so they won't have to make another payment. The mortgage broker has assured us she doesn't see a problem with the underwriter approving the loan. She has faxed them the credit report, and they don't see a problem with it, either. The broker has been doing this for 8 years and says she has only been wrong once on underwriting approving/disapproving loan.

I am worried sick that the loan will go to underwriting and be turned down. I am sooooooooooooooo stressed about all this, and can't get it off my mind. Thank goodness we aren't having to wait months like some people do!

My question is this..........what do all of you think the chances of underwriting turning it down would be?

Thanks,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time homebuyer with shaky credit--extremely stressed!

"I am worried sick that the loan will go to underwriting and be turned down. I am sooooooooooooooo stressed about all this, and can't get it off my mind. The mortgage broker has assured us she doesn't see a problem with the underwriter approving the loan. She has faxed them the credit report, and they don't see a problem with it, either. The broker has been doing this for 8 years and says she has only been wrong once on underwriting approving/disapproving loan."

Is this your first house? That alone ratchets up the stress quota by 50%!

All of the parties involved seem to feel that its a go, so at least that is good news.

In the meantime, I would get plenty of rest, think positive thoughts and do things that will help lower your stress level until you hear back from the broker.

Best of luck!

o

Just realize that at this point there is nothing that you can do. You and your husband will either get the house or you won't. Raising your blood pressure will not accomplish anything. Enjoy your favorite adult beverage (it that's your thing), relax and enjoy the longest day of the year. Happy Solstice!

o

Thanks to both of you for the reassurance! With all of this going on, I have a new grandbaby on the way that will be here any day now! I talked to the mortgage broker this morning and feel a little better. Thanks again!

o

Put some faith in your Mortgage Broker. She's really not going to waste her time trying to get loans approved if she knows they won't fly.

o

I just hope you're buying within your means. Don't let anyone talk you in to borrowing more than you are absolutely, positively comfortable with. Believe me, they will try.

o

We are definitely buying within our means. Our payment will be around $125 more monthly than what we are paying in rent. Also, an update--loan went through, underwriter signed off, we close on Tuesday!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here