Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorothyamelia

Is there a best time to sell?

dorothyamelia
9 years ago

We listed our house at the end of April. Within two days we showed the house several times and had an offer. After the buyers neglected to provide a mortgage commitment, we terminated the sale. Our would be buyers were not pleased and tried to bully us into reimbursing their inspection expenses.

Now that everything is settled down, we are back on the market. It's been over a week, and we haven't had any interest whatsoever. The asking price is competitive for the area. Our agent is a little concerned but tells us that graduations and other events common to this time of year may be contributing to the lull in activity. Any opinions?

Comment (1)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Agree that April/May is a good time, because the closing then happens right after school ends and people can move in during summer vacation. It also depends on your climate, we have no snow in my area, so things don't really shut down in winter. My town is top rated for schools, so most activity matches with closings during summer vacation.

In cases like yours, where the deal fell through due to buyers and not because the house had issues, I've seen realtors add the following sentence to the top of the listing when it was relisted ...
    "Back on market due to buyer financing issues"
    "Back on market due to no fault of the home"

Buyers will assume that the house has a problem and the realtors are making sure they know it was the buyers that had the problem.