Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Land contract or try to sell?

Posted by jackierooke (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 17:10

Very new to this. My husband and his sister were left their mother's house in Detroit. its a very nice house (2+ bedroom brick ranch) in a not so nice neighborhood. Realtor told them it was worth $90k but of course not even a nibble at that price. They went as low as $60k and still nothing. Gave up and tried renting it. Of course the renter's were punks who we ended up asking to leave. (painted walls black and were growing pot in the basement and knocked out windows to vent plus more damage too numerous to list)

The half ownership with the sister is nightmare enough. So I'm wondering about how a land contract might work and/or rent with option to buy. I can't seem to find a clear explanation how either one works.

If this was your situation what would you do? We can't afford to leave the house empty but neither can we afford to not only pay the taxes and insurance on that house but bills too when he has to stay there to keep an eye on it!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Land contract or try to sell?

What about way-below-market rent to really good tennants?

o

I don't have any ideas for you, but what part of Detroit is the house in? is it a populated area or is it going to be impacted by any of the plans to reduce the service area for city services?

o

You need a real estate lawyer to advise you especially since you are dealing with family. They can explain what is best for your situation AND how to do it so you don't get burned by the sister.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here