Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Single, working, with pets: survive showings?

Rudebekia
9 years ago

I'm now in full stress mode due to showings. It is my first week on the market, and I know showings are a good thing! But I leave for work every morning at 7 and don't arrive back until 5 or 6. I have cats, and worry that they will barf, deposit hairballs, stink up the box, etc--all of which may easily occur during a normal day. This is a small condo with no basement so the litter is hidden as well as possible but still obviously "there." I also worry that the agent will leave the doors unlocked (would really disturb one of my neighbors) or other calamities. I do not have friends around during the day to check in. . .everyone works.
I'm trying to assure myself that all I can do is my best. Any advice is welcome.

Comments (9)

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Could you hire a teenager or retiree neighbor or someone like that to check in before/after showings to make sure everything is proper? Can your agent help out with this?

When we were out of town and there was a showing, our agent (or someone in their office) went and turned on the heat/AC in advance of the showing and then back off again afterwards.

• lizzie_nh
    9 years ago

Do you have a relative or friend who can take them full-time for a couple weeks? We did that this time around even though we had to take them a few hours away, reasoning that the first two weeks of the listing would be the busiest, and I can't believe what a stress reliever it was. (And we went under contract in less than a week which was almost miraculous.) One of us had always been available before a showing (24 hours notice was the norm) to remove the cats and all evidence of them, but that still increased stress. Once they were in their carriers, we'd have to go around and do some more vacuuming before we could leave with them. And it doesn't sound like even that would be possible for you.

This time it was SO easy. We cleaned once and then it was more a matter of touch-ups than full-on cleaning required before. Another option is to board your cats for a couple weeks, but I totally understand if that is horribly unappealing.

This post was edited by lizzie_nh on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 18:07

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I don't have any relatives here and my friends are all working people; literally no one to help out. I could board the cats but I have no idea how long this process will take; could be months. I am just going to try to work around this by trying to be as flexible on work hours as possible.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

People's tolerances for cats and dogs run the gamut from loving them to hating them. Cat haters may not want to buy your place because of the cats. People with allergies may turn around at the door. There is not much you can easily do about that.

What you are trying to deal with is the "ick" factor for people who are neutral to cat lovers. I don't know how many cats you have or the setup of your condo, but is there some way to corral them into one room along with the litter box? Could they be crated? A large dog crate could hold a couple cats, a shoebox size litter box and a water bowl clamped to the side.

As for the door, you put a LARGE sign that they cannot miss at the door explaining the door locking issue to the showing agent. (Though, I am not sure why your unlocked door would upset the neighbor.)

• suzieque
    9 years ago

I feel your pain; I'm in the same boat, exactly. When I last sold a house, the realtor DID let one of my cats out despite my extremely clear directions otherwise. I was ballistic. Fortunately, the cat stayed hidden in the bushes near the house and all was well.

Good thing, as nothing would've justified the loss of or danger to that cat.

And now I'm contemplating moving again, and this group of cats has the same potential activities as yours - - - pretty typical to any cat - - - pooping, puking, etc.

And there will be absolutely no opportunity for error in keeping the cats indoors - you can bet your life on that.

But - - - the potential litterbox stink? Of course I keep the litterboxes spotless - when I'm there. But nature calls â¦.

• gwarrington
    9 years ago

Get a pet sitter - someone who can check on the cats and your condo mid day. Put up signs that warn about letting the cats out. Talk to your realtor, ask for his/her suggestions. You are not the first person with this issue - get your agent involved.

Auto litter boxes might also something to look at- when the work they reduce smells by a bunch.

This post was edited by gwarrington on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 1:11

• mdln
    9 years ago

A friend just went through this. She specified dates & times that were possible for showings (basically when she could get away from work, come in late or leave early). When a showing was scheduled, she put the cats in their carriers and they all sat in her car parked 1/4 block away. She could see when they came, and as soon as they left she went back home.

Basically she gave the realtor, "Mon-Wed-Fri between 7-11a, Tu-Th between 3-9p, weekends anytime. All dates/times need 24 hrs notice."

Good luck.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mdln, I've been doing the same when I can, especially for Open Houses. The two cats in a large carrier, with me in the car, parked 1/4 block away. Me trying to read calmly; cats screaming bloody murder much of the time. Difficult. **SIGH**

• mdln
    9 years ago

LOL, I can just see it. My friend did let them out of the carrier, to roam around her car. However, had to child lock the windows, when one stood on the button and started to lower the window. She said they eventually got a little better with it.