Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it tacky to lay down plastic runner over new carpet?

Posted by BelfastBound (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:02

Going on the market in 2 weeks. New carpet just installed in 500 sf bonus room. Is it tacky to put down plastic runner from stairs where you approach to master where you would exit (or vice versa)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it tacky to lay down plastic runner over new carpet?

I wouldn't. Your carpet isn't going to get wrecked by a couple of people walking on it.

As a side issue ... what is going on with those 2 steps going up to the door?!? Why is the bottom stair shorter than the top part? That just seems like a tripping hazard to me. And it looks odd.

o

I think a plastic runner is fine during showings.

o

I agree with shmooo, it would not bother me to see that you are protecting that brand new carpet.

If the room had furniture in it, I might think differently.

o

I didn't use plastic, but I did put down paper runners on the stairs of a split entry and in the living room and hallway.

I hoped the people viewing the house would appreciate us taking the time to protect the brand new carpet.

I am glad I did. We had a lot of showings over the month, and yes I think the carpet on the entry stairs would have gotten stained.

o

It wouldn't bother me if I was viewing a house.

o

Showing the home with new carpet is the one time you can use a runner.

Too late now, but I would have fixed that shorter step before the carpet was laid. Assuming that is either attic or exterior access, the likelihood of carrying things in or out would make the uneven steps even more of an issue than other places. It could come up as an issue in your home inspection, so hang on to any carpet remnants you have.

o

Greg and Lascatx - Yikes. Lived here 25 years with plywood on the floor and never really paid attention to that step. I agree it does look odd and I wish any of the flooring estimates I got had pointed it out. There is extra carpet for the next folks. What the heck was the builder thinking?

o

I saw that once and thought "Good--if I decide to buy this house, people who walk through it after me won't mess up the nice new carpet."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here