Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claykersh

What does FSBO have to have ready to close

claykersh
10 years ago

I am buyer in escrow with FSBO. Have buyers agents. Closing 2 weeks from now, date and time has not been scheduled. All buyer contingencies met.

What do I have to make sure the FSBO bring to closing, the title of course is first thing that comes to mind.

Should I just assume that is being taken care or should I be doing something in regards to this?

Comments (7)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Who is handling the closing? A title/escrow company or an attorney. Either way, they closing agent should be in touch with the seller as to what they need to bring.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Keys to the property

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Property tax bills settled up between buyer and seller at closing in a way that is standard for your jurisdiction. Some places it's paid forward, sometimes it's paid backwards. This is a way to fairly apportion the property/school taxes, etc. when there are two owners (buyer AND seller) during a single taxable-year cycle.

Your attorney (or buyers' agent if you aren't in an area with attorneies at closing) can tell you what is normal.

Also in some cases there is a property transfer tax, paid by buyer or seller (differs from place to place) in order to file the deed.

Do you have a lender? They will need proof of satisfaction of any outstanding mortgage or lien. They may also ant docs showing that any pest, water, septic, radon, undergorund fuel tank inspection, even in some cases building permits closed and work inspected, that are required by law have been done. And they will need proof that all real estate taxes, fees and special assessments are paid to date, as they can be assessed to whoever owns the place. Even if you don't have a lender, don't skip what they would have required; they've been around the block a time or two. If a bank wants something to protect their interest, then you should want it, as well.

In my own experience as both mutliple time FSBO buyer and seller, each side thinks they should benefit (in full!)from the avoided commission. In reality both sides will have more trouble, and sometimes expense, to get the deal closed w/o REA on board who known what's locally required, or even just customary.

FSBOs require that all parties work together in ways that are sometimes lacking in fully agented-up transactions.

Good luck!

L.

• claykersh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for replies.

What if there is only a buyers agent involved? What approach should I take to assure the sellers have there stuff together?

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Again, who is handling the closing? It is not the buyers agent. It will be an attorney or title and escrow company.

• claykersh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe an attorney is handling sellers side but I am not certain.

So a FSBO situation the seller wouldnt do everything "solo" per say and they would still have to use an attorney or title co. to close on the property?

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Yes