Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmrsdghtr_gw

Selling a home with no room for a dishwasher

frmrsdghtr
11 years ago

Will this hurt us badly? There is simply no room in the tiny kitchen for a dishwasher. Not even a portable. This is a 100k home, completely remodeled, and I'm wondering how people would feel about this. Dining area is large but a separate room. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

You bought it without a dishwasher. There must have been a reason. Hopefully, someone else will buy it for the same reason.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

What does your competition have?

Other houses at the same price point.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"You bought it without a dishwasher. There must have been a reason. Hopefully, someone else will buy it for the same reason."

Just what I thought....

Some people WILL see it as a deal breaker, but it seems there is nothing you can do about that.
    So don't invest in worrying about it.

• turtleshope
    11 years ago

I built a house without a dishwasher ... a summer home where doing the dishes is just part of the day's activities. So it depends , but it will put you at a pretty big disadvantage if everyone else has one.

• Susan
    11 years ago

meh, i added one when dh went through chemotherapy. we use it at lease once a year,lol.
    wouldn't bother me in the least, i prefer more storage anyway.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

My husband used to tell people he "married his dishwasher".

He knows that not true now because he knows I won't live in a house (for very long) without one installed.

• mpinto
    11 years ago

Do you have room for an 18" one? They use these in apartments. It may be better than nothing.

• Adella Bedella
    11 years ago

I think it depends on where you live, where your house is in the price point, and how many houses are on the market. I'm assuming your house would probably appeal to a first time home owner and a handful of other people. It would be a dealbreaker for most.

Depending on your layout, I would be tempted to remove some cabinets and add a dishwasher. You could possibly put a pantry or nice cabinets in the dining room for additional storage. Financially, this may not be feasible.

• nini804
    11 years ago

Eh, if the house is small, it is not terribly likely to appeal to a growing family anyway. When dh and I were first married, we lived in this adorable old townhouse in the historic part of our city. The kitchen was TINY with no DW. We could not have cared less...we lived on love and take out! When we sold it, the guy who bought it was a single executive who wasn't whipping up gourmet dinners for 8 either...there are a lot of people who wouldn't care. Good luck!

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! Since there is absolutely no way to add one without tearing out a piece of wall I think we'll list as is. It's a smallish 3 bedroom starter home with lots to love about it - so hopefully it'll appeal to someone!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Is this the same kitchen you did the great DIY make-over on?

• scarletshouse
    11 years ago

Have you considered a single dish drawer like Fisher & Paykel makes?

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

If you have a counter, how about a small one that fits on the counter like some smaller cafes use.

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jessicaml - nope, that was our own home. This is a remodel job on a home we've been working on in our spare time for the last year.