Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling a home with no room for a dishwasher

Posted by frmrsdghtr (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 13:30

Will this hurt us badly? There is simply no room in the tiny kitchen for a dishwasher. Not even a portable. This is a 100k home, completely remodeled, and I'm wondering how people would feel about this. Dining area is large but a separate room. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling a home with no room for a dishwasher

You bought it without a dishwasher. There must have been a reason. Hopefully, someone else will buy it for the same reason.

o

What does your competition have?

Other houses at the same price point.

o

That would be a deal breaker for me.

o

"You bought it without a dishwasher. There must have been a reason. Hopefully, someone else will buy it for the same reason."

Just what I thought....

Some people WILL see it as a deal breaker, but it seems there is nothing you can do about that.
So don't invest in worrying about it.

o

I built a house without a dishwasher ... a summer home where doing the dishes is just part of the day's activities. So it depends , but it will put you at a pretty big disadvantage if everyone else has one.

o

meh, i added one when dh went through chemotherapy. we use it at lease once a year,lol.
wouldn't bother me in the least, i prefer more storage anyway.

o

My husband used to tell people he "married his dishwasher".

He knows that not true now because he knows I won't live in a house (for very long) without one installed.

o

Do you have room for an 18" one? They use these in apartments. It may be better than nothing.

o

I think it depends on where you live, where your house is in the price point, and how many houses are on the market. I'm assuming your house would probably appeal to a first time home owner and a handful of other people. It would be a dealbreaker for most.

Depending on your layout, I would be tempted to remove some cabinets and add a dishwasher. You could possibly put a pantry or nice cabinets in the dining room for additional storage. Financially, this may not be feasible.

o

Eh, if the house is small, it is not terribly likely to appeal to a growing family anyway. When dh and I were first married, we lived in this adorable old townhouse in the historic part of our city. The kitchen was TINY with no DW. We could not have cared less...we lived on love and take out! When we sold it, the guy who bought it was a single executive who wasn't whipping up gourmet dinners for 8 either...there are a lot of people who wouldn't care. Good luck!

o

Thanks all! Since there is absolutely no way to add one without tearing out a piece of wall I think we'll list as is. It's a smallish 3 bedroom starter home with lots to love about it - so hopefully it'll appeal to someone!

o

Is this the same kitchen you did the great DIY make-over on?

o

Have you considered a single dish drawer like Fisher & Paykel makes?

o

If you have a counter, how about a small one that fits on the counter like some smaller cafes use.

o

jessicaml - nope, that was our own home. This is a remodel job on a home we've been working on in our spare time for the last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here