Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
net420

Power line issues?

net420
10 years ago

There is a wooded lot for sale but behind it is a power line. If I build a house there then the power line would be about 150ft-180ft from the back of the house. The power line is similar to the 1st pic. The 2nd pic shows the lot lines in green. The red lines are the easement and the blue line is the power line. Would you buy this property?

Comments (18)

• net420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 1

• net420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 2

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

How desperate are you? How available is ground? How long do you plan to live there?

I wouldn't buy it.

BUT, the developer who is putting 18 houses in right behind me just finished 6 houses practically UNDER lines (bigger than those you pictured) and they were all in the 600k range. In our area, developers are hungry for infill lots and people will buy a new home, even practically under a huge power line. But, it wouldn't be for me, and when it is time for you to sell, it won't be for a number of buyers either.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Those look pretty typical for power distribution in my area around older neighborhoods, or rural properties in non-neighborhoods. In many newer neighborhoods these are underground in my area. I would check and see if this helps with getting power to your property. Ie will they allow you to tap off there.

• net420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kirkhall,
    I'm not happy with my current neighborhood. The neighbors are the problem so if I can move sooner it would be great but at the same time I don't want to rush then regret later. My plan is to live there 15 yrs. There are other lots available but they are not wooded. I prefer wooded lot. So how close from a power line would you avoid?

lyfia,
    My concern is about resell and health, not about getting power to the property.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Do the trees on the lot make the lines less conspicuous?

And, are these the exact lines? Do they hum?

I agree, the ones pictured could be just "beefed up" regular power distribution lines like what you'd see in an older neighborhood. But, the question is, can they put more lines up or higher powered lines. If these are just typical county distribution lines, they will probably be overlooked by future buyers, particularly if they are obscured from the property by trees.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Well if these are the normal power distribution lines then you'd have that same concern with your current property right? To me they looks like the normal ones around here which also carries the phone lines etc. on them.

I would first determine what type they are. Are they normal distribution lines or something else? Maybe call the power company.

• egbar
    10 years ago

the residential property I just sold has power lines like that on 2 sides and within 20 feet of the house. it was not raised as an issue once in all of the showings (15 -20).
    the claims of health problems being caused by power lines have been largely documented to be false, and that is fairly well known by the general population at this time. Those who would be afraid can be assured by showing available documentation. If you want to avoid all possibility of discoraging a buyer you will have to tread carefully, as buyers will find other reasons not to buy as well, too long a drive, too many trees, etc etc... come time to sell a house. All I can say for sure is that it would not put me off to have those power lines within 120 ft of the home. best wishes.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

If it bothers you, it will likely bother your purchaser.

It is impossible to prove a negative ('that the lines are NOT a risk beyond visual,' but very hard to prove beyond all known science they are not harmful.).

• net420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell because the trees are up to the front lot. Will stop by again to double check.
    This is a small town so they're are the main power distribution to the town.
    If many people avoid them then I will sure have difficulty selling it later. If things changed I may need to sell sooner than plan.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

This must be a regional or urban vs. rural thing. Where are you that you wouldn't expect to see power lines? In my universe, it's not an option! While it would be nice to have a view without them, to my eye they don't look terribly offensive - not like those really huge ones that link larger cities.

• net420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe in rural areas or new subdivisions they bury the lines. I saw numerous posts where people expressed dislike power lines which gives me second thoughts. With the distance and pic shown above I was wondering if it's still an issue.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That photo looks like the power lines that are in the alley behind every house I've ever lived in. I always thought the lines to avoid were the ones on the big steel frame towers.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

This is more like the powerlines people don't want near their house. The high voltage power lines.

The normal distribution lines will be hard to get away from unless the area you're in buries them underground. The normal distribution ones shouldn't be a worry in my opinion unless it is unusual for the area.

• OttawaGardener
    10 years ago

What lyfia said ^ .

OP, the pic you show is just regular hydro poles IMO. Standard around here, and nobody notices them so it doesn't affect the price.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Telephone poles with phone, cable and electric lines are a dime a dozen here... and they have zero effect on price/resale.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

What they said. If they are distribution lines, it's really not an issue. Newer developments do bury them, but from a safety perspective, it's exactly the same. If it bothers you aesthetically, that's something to consider--but definitely know that in most cities and older suburbs, every house has these somewhere nearby (often much, much closer than 150-200 feet).

(If you do determine they are transmission lines vs. distribution lines--e.g., medium voltage vs. low voltage--that might change things. The power company should be able to give you this information.)

• net420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback.