Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

I need ammunition against manufactured homes

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

We currently live in a wonderful well-built modular home on acreage. We are looking at properties in TN and keep coming across manufactured homes that look great but --- they are manufactured homes. A definite no-go for me but my husband doesn't see the problem.

Our modular is equal to a stick-built except it was assembled in a factory. Looks and is no different from site-built.

I have to convince him that I want a stick-built and good reasons.

Comments (8)

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Check re-sale value.

That oughta do it.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

So, what are your reasons for not wanting one? Since you state you live in a "wonderful well-built modular home" that is "equal to a stick-built except it was assembled in a factory. Looks and is no different from site-built.", what is the wrong with the ones you see in TN? If they are inferior in quality, then isn't that a good enough reason for you to bring to the attention of your husband?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Gyr_Falcon - modular and manufactured are not the same. See below. I read a book from our library about this - wish I could remember the name because it was very informative and easy to understand.

RyseRyse - I agree with sylviatexas but if you need more, have him look at the following link

Here is a link that might be useful: Modular vs Manufactured

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Gyr. That says it all. Since we will be paying cash and not needing a mortgage, he feels it doesn't matter that it doesn't conform to certain standards. Well it does!!!!

• rrah
    9 years ago

Show him some pictures of manufactured homes after a tornado hits an area. I know stick built houses are damaged too, but they don't turn upside down.

Check on insurance costs also.

Gyr--modular homes are different than manufactured homes. Modular typically refers to the type of house the OP describes--stick built in a factory than moved piece by piece (or section) and then assembled on the property. There will be finishing that needs to be done onsite.

Manufactured homes are also assembled in a factory. In my area they are often called single wides or double wides. They will have a "tag" and are sold much like a vehicle is sold.

OP--Look at this link also. It might help with the argument.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modular versus Manufactured

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Of course. I'm sorry I didn't clearly register the difference while reading the post. Not multitasking at my best today. :)

• tad0422
    9 years ago

This might shine a light on what a modular home can be if done right. Just thought I would pass it along

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayton Homes

• phd12
    9 years ago

In areas that do not have zoning restrictions, because the people are staunchly opposed to any perceived governmental intrusion on their property rights, the catalyst for the acceptance of new regulations is quite often manufactured homes. Even though these folks can't understand the benefits of separating industrial uses from residential uses, they still know they don't want manufactured homes dragging down their own property value, simply by proximity.

So of course the home itself loses value "the moment you drive it off the lot" so to speak. But the effects on neighboring properties are also significant. It's probably one of the most common deed restrictions/restrictive covenants you will find as well.

For the upcharge between an "on-frame modular" and a "double-wide" you get a lot of bang for your buck (structural integrity, insulation, Building Code minimums vs. HUD standards, etc.) and a more stable valuation.