Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egbar_gw

rent to own pitfalls?

egbar
10 years ago

this is a condensed version of a long story. We have had a house on the market since March, it was originally priced 10K below the realtors recommendation at listing because we wanted to move fast. We had a buyer almost immediately who was an investor and who tried several games and manipulations to panic us to sell the house well below its value. We spent 20 days with those turkeys before they realized we were not going to cave to their unrealistic demands and withdrew. We had a good case to force the issue but didn't want a prolonged legal battle.
Back to house now, the market for houses in this price range is not great at the moment. We have dropped prices twice now. houses under 100K are selling fine, and houses in the 200K-300K are booming. I understand this is because low interest rates have already
used up the 'pool' of people who had been saving and waiting for starter homes In the lower price range of under 200K. So we have had a steady trickle of lookers but this house is not to everybody's tastes and naturally some have not made offers. We have had many investors looking and lowballing
and many interested people with no money (at open houses). REaltor, his boss, my friends who are realtors all say it is priced competitively and is a good value for the money we are asking.
We have been approached by one person who
represents himself as getting a divorce and having a lot of equity in the home he and his soon to be ex wife will be selling. He wants to rent this house until his own house sells, then purchase this one. Having worked with a rental management company for several years I know the nightmares that can happen with renting alone and never wanted to get into the business of renting a property.
I want to hear all the success stories, failures, etc from
anybody having experience with them, and advice on avoiding pitfalls. We want to get a letter from his bank, do a criminal background check and get references and learn who his employer is. The lease contract will be separate from the purchase contract, and purchase will only kick in when his house is free and clear and he has his money in the bank. We do realize this could take a very long time if they are still fighting about divorce details. rental will be month to month, he will leave a $5000 deposit with us. I would like to add a clause saying any late rent payment will be cause for immediate eviction and loss of deposit or something to that effect. /there will be an inspection clause saying we are allowed to enter the home with a 24 hours notice.
I have been around the block too many times to trust that
all will be as it is presented and we most sincerely don't want to waste time and endanger the value of our own property
with a stranger living in it if we don't have to. We will be living 10 hours away which will make managing the property and keeping an eye on it all the more difficult.
OK, that's the situation, let me know what you think!

Comments (12)

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

You need up-to-date advice on LOCAL landlord/tenant laws, espcially regarding non-payment, eviction and inspection notice.

No matter how tidy the fellow is, a lived-in house always sustains some wear and tear and aging of surfaces and appliances. So if he doesn't buy it, you will have some additional costs to bring it back to ready for sale state. Just take those costs into account.

Excellent to keep renting separate from purchasing contracts. You're not really talking about rent-to-own in the conventional meaning of crediting part of rent towards purchase price.

It's the same as the VW "sign and drive" commercials. You're really proposing "rent and THEN buy".

I replied on a similar topic, scroll down for for what I wrote regarding additional issues regarding taxes, mortage and insurance in reply to another poster who queried on a related rent to own topic.

I'd run the numbers both ways: money coming in (and going out to cover reconditioning to get it ready for sale if this deals falls through, which I would build in as an assumption) plus your carrying costs in the interim vs as stiff as necessary price drop now to get it sold and move on immediately.

Good luck..

L.

• User
    10 years ago

If you've had several offers at a much lower price, then that's what the market is telling you that the home is worth. Take the loss, and leave the headache behind. It a special kind of hell to be a landlord when you don't really know what you're doing. It's a lot more expensive than you think it is to be a landlord.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

The renter is often at more risk than the landlord.

the renter is betting you will be able to deliver clear title at some future date.
    You could mess up ad have an IRS lien attached .

Have separate contracts drawn up for the lease and have him give you a non-refundable deposit on an option to purchase.

The option often sets the price and terms of the purchase.

The option price is to give him an incentive to maintain the place (or at least not do any excessive damage) and you the money needed to bring it back to salable condition.

From your view point, more money is better.
    He of course would prefer less.

Your risk is for a wild price increase during the option period.

I have sold a couple houses as actual rent-to-buy type contracts.
    Both went to professional level folks with medical related bankruptcies.

Both worked out well.
    I gave a rent credit, and the option price had an 'increase clause'.
    Both couples got back on their feet quickly and exercised the purchase option in less than 18 months.

Both behaved far more like owners from the get go, likely reenforced by making them responsible fr AL maintenance during the option period.

Without needing to set aside rent money to cover maintenance issues, the credit they got did not really hit my finances.

Make sure you have a very good RE attorney draw up the agreements.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 8:39

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Couldn't you write it up as a rental document with him having first right of refusal to buy within 12 months (or 18 or 24--whatever suits you)?

It really does sound to me like you are doing a rent, THEN buy situation, also.

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

brickeyee, that is the sort of info I was after. We have a really good contract/real estate lawyer who will go over everything and advise. we absolutely don't want to be landlords if we can help it, the realtor is saying don't lower the price, it will sell, any lower and we will be giving it away... so maybe at 94 days on the market (about 60 on active listing due to failed initial contract) I am in too much of a hurry. we have another showing today. thanks everybody for the input.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

There are a ton of pitfalls in this type of relationship. You really do need an attorney who specializes in this type of draft. It can be done, but every term and condition needs to be spelled out.
    Brickeyee, do you ever have any problem with lenders accepting your buyer's rent credit? I have heard that the lenders will not accept this type of "income" from the buyer because it comes from the seller. How do you get around that?

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

2 separate agreements is the way to go.

Rent at a market rate (which, if it's like our market, may be a fair amount higher than a mortgage payment would be). Sign a purchase agreement with a long closing date and a significant deposit/earnest money. Both of those will serve to be strong incentives for him to close the purchase deal down the road, and provide you sufficient compensation if he doesn't fulfill his part of the deal.

Have him fill out a typical rental application, ask him a lot of detailed questions, and then do extensive background check: look at his credit report, verify his employment, get a copy of his tax return and/or W2, look at court documents to find where he's filed for divorce, look up current property records to make sure he owns and that his house is on the market, do a criminal background check. You're looking to verify whether or not he's telling the truth. If he lies about something, that's a warning sign about entering into this type of deal with him.

BTW, markets can be goofy. We've had a

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

I lowered the price by the 'credit' amount.

No one objected.

Both occurred before the recent tightening of rules and excessive underwriting scrutiny (the pendulum has swung a little to far the other way.)

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 8:43

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

weedyacres, exactly whats happening here.... we do have plans to do what you and others have suggested, and our really great lawyer will help with his input. I would so much rather just
    sell it and be done though. the guy doesn't have his house on the market yet, though he claims to be preparing it to sell. I am concerned that if his divorce agreement isn't already written and signed we may end up as landlords indefinitely
    and the house not sold at the end. my tendency is to not want to go through with this, but if he can convince us we will all have a happy ending (through documentation and good results in all our homework) would consider it. I was just wondering if anybody out here on the forum had experienced this sort of
    situation and made it work for them. Everybody, your input
    is valuable and appreciated! Thanks for the collective wisdom.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

egbar, I was approached by a friend this year inquiring about rent to own with a house I was readying to sell. It was awkward since a friend, and I was envisioning having the house back at some point (like in a slow winter market) since the marriage had been long troubled but enduring:)

The marriage is still enduring, and I listed, closed the sale last week.

However, my sister reminded me that she bought a house several years ago under just the terms you are describing. Her now ex was delaying a final divorce decree and she wasn't free to buy a house in her own name only until that division of properties was settled. She found a seller willing to work with her and it turned out beautifully. She did buy the house after renting several months, did not have to move her belongings a second time or disrupt her childrens lives any further than had been already.

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

morz8, thanks for that, I love a story with a happy ending!
    we lowered our price again at the time we got this offer, and lo and behold we have reached our "perceived value" price, and we have got 2 more offers to consider now.
    by the time we get through examining them we may not have to rent the house out at all. One of the offers seems to be pretty solid! thanks to all!

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hooray, got a contract that doesn't entail rental at all , except the new owner wants to use it as one! thanks everybody, now check out the decorating forum and give me ideas on what to do to help the curb appeal of the "new" 1948 ranch we will move to? thanks again.