Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is a listing removed from MLS?

Posted by generic123 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 5:57

There is one house I know of on the MLS that has and is working through an offer. It is being countered.
When in the process will the listing be removed from the mls?

Also - I saw a house a week or so after it was listed. Its been two more weeks and it is off the agents listing and the MLS. I believe the property was an easy sell - I just thought that the whole process would take longer than that, even for a cash buyer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is a listing removed from MLS?

It probably varies by area, but in my area, a house stays on MLS until it closes. The general public wouldnt see the listing show up on any search engines after it has an accepted offer with no contingencies. Agents can see the offer go thru each stage, Contingent, pending and finally Sold.

o

Our MLS keeps all activity in the MLS for 10 years.
The poster is not seeing the MLS. He is seeing IDX sites such as Realtor.co, who take down listings once they go to Pending status.

o

I've always wondered this myself. When my son purchased his home 2 years ago it was taken off realtor.com when everything was approved and final, but before closing. When we purchased our current home 9 years ago it wasn't removed from realtor.com til closing. Same city, 9 years earlier, but it wasn't taken off til closing, this confused me.

o

Every MLS has differing policies and enforcement for its agents' listings. I just took the class for Suncoast and it's 3 days for this and 2 days for that, 24 hours (I think, need to look at my notes) to change the status of a listing from "active" to "pending" or "under contract" or whatever appropriate.
Agents who have full access to MLS can see all the listings for years and years, expireds, closed, withdrawns, etc, so they can see the history. They'll find "new" listings with new MLS # that have actually been on the market for days and months and years.
Even sales that are not MLS-listed are supposed to be put on MLS for statistical purposes. It's a pretty powerful database if everyone uses it correctly.
If you want your listing status changed right away, just tell your agent. It only takes a minute if they have internet access available.

o

I've always wondered this myself. When my son purchased his home 2 years ago it was taken off realtor.com when everything was approved and final, but before closing. When we purchased our current home 9 years ago it wasn't removed from realtor.com til closing. Same city, 9 years earlier, but it wasn't taken off til closing, this confused me.

With us, the buyer had to request it be taken off of the MLS while we were in attorney review, etc. The offer the fell through actually asked, the one we closed on did not. I don't recall at what point it was not listed as active but pending; think it was once attorney review was done.

I think it all depends on the agent. Keeping it active as long as they can helps the seller; just in case something falls through.

What would then happen (for us anyway) if someone requested to view our home, our agent would tell them that we were working a deal or whatever.

o

What does null mean in the listing, is it pending?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here