Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dracko

FSBO - My first showing

dracko
14 years ago

I listed my house the other day on Kijiji. Just thought I'd give it a few weeks to see if it would sell before signing up for an online FSBO service that you pay for.

Tonight I had my first showing. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. BUT...

The couple (early 20's) showed up with her parents. Probably a good idea for anyone looking to buy a house. Turns out her father is a home inspector. Ugh...what are th friggin' chances.

I feel confident in my house but I've only lived in it for 2 years and the owner before me owns a reno company and did all the work. It's been redone basically inside and out, top to bottom. I assume if the kids are interested the father will want to come back and have a closer look. He commented on things like my cupboards are level, etc. Didn't say anything negative but I assume they have an even more critical eye than most people would about small things. The daughter was in love with the house so I'm hoping to hear back from them.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or not to do when selling your house yourself?

Comments (6)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Didn't say anything negative but I assume they have an even more critical eye than most people would about small things."

Did you hover around the while time?

I rarely say anything negative about a property when the owner is present.

Many RE agents believe that it is only when buyers start to notice and comment on minor issues that a sale is likely.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Remove anything valuable that can be pocketed, then let them tour your house unaccompanied.

If this couple comes back for a second showing, I would leave them alone in the house - go putter around the yard or something.

• Linda
    14 years ago

Remove anything valuable that can be pocketed, then let them tour your house unaccompanied.

I have to disagree with graywings on this one. DO NOT let them wander around your house unaccompanied. This is one of the pitfalls of selling FSBO, you dont have the option of not being there yet having someone there for you. Realtors in my area are really thinking twice about open houses these days. During a busy open house, someone literally stuck a lap top computer in their bag and walked out. It wasnt noticed until much later. You can't put everything away and some people will steal anything! I would accompany them again if there is a second visit, but stay back and don't say anything unless they ask you.

As far as the home inspector dad, I think thats a jackpot. Their father isnt going to scare them to death. If he sees issues he'll point them out and tell them, this isnt a big deal, this is a big deal etc.

Most of the time, its not what the home inspector says, but how he says it. Her dad will present things the right way to her without alarming her.

• Billl
    14 years ago

If you are uncomfortable with a showing, I can only image how uncomfortable you are going to be negotiating prices and terms with a potential buyer. You might look into a flat fee listing instead of a FSBO website.

As for showings, we had to "show" our house a handful of times to people who didn't have buyers agents. We gave a very short spiel about the general layout and amenities and then let buyers wander while we stayed on the deck. To make up for lacking the whole guided tour idea, we put sticky notes on some items that might not stand out otherwise. Example - we had very nice kitchen cabinets with pullout racks for pots and pans, draw organizers etc. We put a bright yellow note that said "Open Me" on several so that people would check them out.

• dracko
    Original Author
    14 years ago

billl - I wasn't uncomfortable with the showing. As a matter of fact, I said it was way less so than I thought. It was just that what are the chances that the FIRST people through have a Home Inspector with them.

And while I did "tour" them on the house I then let them look around. While I talked to the mom for a while the kids took their own look around. The father and boyfriend (or husband) did their thing outside and in the basement area with the furnace, etc. I didn't stalk them as I know that would be uncomfortable. And, yes, I did remove anything of value. It also amazes me when you go to an Open House and people have mail sitting out in the open like credit card bills! All of my stuff like that is locked up in a filing cabinet.

Haven't heard back from the couple. :-( Guess the first people through buying the house was a lot to ask.

• parma42
    14 years ago

What I did when we sold our home FSBO is to have a dated sign in sheet.

You can assure the people, who are looking at your house, that you won't call and bug them. It's just a way to protect yourselves and any potential buyers who may use an agent in the future.

It's proof that you've worked together, without representation, and you won't have to pay a commission, down the line.