Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Question about closing costs

3katz4me
9 years ago

We are thinking about selling a weekend lake home and buying a different one better suited to long term; ie retirement, aging, etc. We haven't bought a house in about fifteen years and this is the first time we'd be paying cash. If there is no loan are closing costs considerably less? I honestly don't remember much about closing costs from last time around and want to get a better idea how much I'd need to have on hand for this.

Comments (6)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

A lot of the things the bank requires, you should also do. Title insurance. Inspection. Appraisal. Legal fees. Then there are the mandatory fees - title search, deed recording.

Though not necessarily considered closing costs, but typically eating up a huge chunk of change, you will not have to prepay 2 months of re fees, insurance, prepay loan interest.

I think your best bet would be to talk to your re attorney. He will be able to tell you what is required in your area, what is optional, and what the going rates in your area are.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Look at your state's closing cost information. They will tell you what the recordation and transfer fees are, etc.
    Also shop around for a settlement attorney. I personally don't think you need an appraisal.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - it's early in the process yet so hasn't reached the attorney phase. I was just thinking about this and thinking it may be a bit less than usual with no mortgage.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

The costs that you'll be saving are mortgage company 'junk'fees, things that may be called underwriting, warehousing, document preparation (different from attorney & title co doc prep), closing fee, anything at all.

Years ago, I had a closing in which the lender charged a 'faxing' fee.

They're just money that you pay to increase the lender's yield.

If your attorney draws the documents, the title company shouldn't charge a doc fee, & depending on your state, your attorney may be able to do the actual closing.

Do be sure that you have a title policy, & read it to find out what the exceptions/exclusions are;
    you can often pay an additional fee to have them covered.

& if the sellers don't have a survey that they'll provide for you, get a survey yourself.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

We bought a house for cash about a year ago. Total closing costs: $495. $300 was for the settlement company and the others were recording fees, taxes, stamps. The seller paid for the title insurance.

You will need to have insurance lined up, and you'll need to self-escrow for taxes, but those don't flow through the closing statement on cash sales.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interestingly we've never had title insurance - just had an attorney review the title. Sounds like it will be much more straightforward without a mortgage.