Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Realtor open house

Posted by pvel (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 22:00

My house has been on the market with a realtor for almost 3 months and has not sold. The market here is slow I know. The realtor has had only 1 open house so far. I feel that is too little. Am I right to be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Realtor open house

Not unless houses are usually sold through open houses in your area. Where I live open houses for the public are not very helpful in selling houses. To be blunt, they are mostly used by your real estate agent to try to find more clients. Nice for the agent, but not much help to you.

A realtor open house where agents (not the public) come to it can be helpful if the agents fill out a questionnaire and give feedback on the house. You have to take comments with a grain of salt but it can provide valuable feedback to you as a seller as to price, condition and so on. When we were selling our house it was the realtor feedback from that open house that told us we were overpriced -- despite telling our agent we wanting to price low.

o
RE: Realtor open house

In my area, Open Houses don't really bring in ready buyers. Instead they draw in neighbors and people who are just thinking about maybe buying. We did not do an open house for our house.

But now that we are shopping for a new house - I will say we are kinda of the exception in that we are ready buyers (preapproved for a mortgage) and we go to open houses. (Although neither of the two houses we've put offers on did we see through an open house.) It is just sometimes easier to do the open house than to arrange a time to see it with our agent.

If you really want to try an Open House, I think your agent should do that for you. If you haven't dropped your price recently, coordinating a price drop with an Open House might be helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here