Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

Perfect lot/ not so great layout

lethargo
9 years ago

We've seen a house that's been listed for awhile now. So first the good: It's awe-mazing! The drive into the neighborhood will lower your blood pressure. A view of the county, which is rare in this relatively flat area. Beautiful horse farm across the back fence. Surrounded by nature. Well kept estate homes surround the lot. Impressive mature landscaping. Heated poool. Next the ...meh, something's just not right: the house's layout just doesn't seem....right. The kitchen is kinda closed off, but still visible from the dining area. The master feels small. The stairwell is dark. There's an open space upstairs that just doesn't make sense. The whole thing just gave us an off feeling. This house is actually listed above our budget, but was listed $50k less two years ago.when it was last listed. It has already been lowered $20k from the original price this round.

Is it feasible to get a layout changed for $20k, and would it be bad to offer the $50k less that we know they were asking 2 yes ago? This is a hot market, most homes sell under a week, and this house just isn't moving.

Comments (9)

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Without seeing what the layout looks like there is no way to answer if you can do it for 20K or not. All depends on load bearing walls and what is involved in moving or removing walls. Plumbing, electrical, flooring, etc. Of course if you have DIY knowledge and can do a lot yourself then it would be that or less. Just depends on what needs to be done.

I'm of the opinion to just make an offer. If it is not accepted then you haven't lost anything.

• C Marlin
    9 years ago

I agree make an offer. If the location is good, you can change the layout.
    location location location

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

20K barely buys a kitchen refresh keeping the same cabinets. If this is a the top of your budget, better not count on doing any renovations. Learn to love it's awkwardness, oleave it be. You're not gonna have funds for a teardown unless the price is lowered by 3/4, and maybe not even then.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Did the house sell 2 years ago when it was last listed? I'm wondering if it's the same owners trying to sell for a second time? Or new owners trying to get out of a crappy layout?

You never know what is motivating a seller. Or what they will accept. You can always offer. No guarantee they will accept.

It definitely sounds like you don't have the funds for a major renovation. So unless you can live with the layout this may not be he house for you.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

around here, people are paying 300K for a "refresh" of homes built in the 1940's for about 3200 square feet.

that is above the price they pay for the home which at this time is in the 500K - 575K range.

Many regions are much cheaper, but it is much more expensive to rehab an old home with a bad layout than to build brand spanking new around here.

If you are heart-set on the place, walk thru with a design/build company to get an idea.

If it is not selling in a hot market, people with much more experience than you are balking for a good reason. Markets are cyclical and it won't be hot for long.

The same homes that people are paying 575 for now in my neighborhood went for 275 four years ago.

• chispa
    9 years ago

"horse farm across the back fence"

Have you ever had horses or a neighbor who had them? This would be a BIG negative for many people. I love horses, I ride horses, but I do not want them in my back yard. The smell, the flies, oh my!

I'm in a high cost of living area and $20k would barely make a dent in the cost of a whole house layout remodel.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

There's no way to answer your question on price without seeing a layout and knowing what would need to be changed. I would not buy a house with a layout defect that couldn't be fixed.

Just about anything can be changed, but there are some exceptions. One thing I hate is front doors that open right into the stairs. There were a couple houses I looked at when recently shopping that were great on everything except the stairs. I walked all around to try and figure out if they could be reconfigured, and there literally were no options because of room placement around the stairway.

So see if you can go back and sketch out a floorplan. Post it here (or in Remodeling) with the problems and we can give you a read on how big a job it would be to fix things.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your input everyone!

We are the edge of the Detroit burbs, obviously where there are horses. I should have said equestrian club, not horse farm. It's very nice, a LOT of space for a few horses. The house is for sale by the same owners as 2 years ago. I fear people are overlooking because of layout, though there was also water in the basement. We'd obviously have to look into the water issue-that may be the reason for no sale as well. We're putting the house on the back burner for now...

We've decided to ask the developer is we can bring our own builder, there are some very nice lots left and the neighborhood hasn't had any action in over 5 years. Fingers crossed we can work that out.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

One thing you can never change about a home is location!