Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
end of cul-du-sac -- negatives?

Posted by jamies (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 20:16

We recently discussed the pros and cons of corner lots, and I was struck by how a con can become a pro depending on how you look at it.

I'm wondering about the cons of an end of cul-du-sac lot. It seems like it would be nice; what negatives am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: end of cul-du-sac -- negatives?

I loved living on the end of the street. The only con I can think of is you need to be very careful about the kids when they are out playing. Some "parents" seem to think that end of the road means they don't need to teach their child to move out of the way for cars and get po'd when you remind the kids that the road is there for the cars first them second.

o

My concern as living at the end of a cul-du-sac is people turning around, not realizing it is a dead end. Possible speed, driving in the driveway, lights at night etc.

o

I have lived in a cul-de-sac for many years. It's interesting, the cul-de-sac seems like its own neighborhood - the folks on the cul-de-sac definitely know each other better, and seem to watch out for each other more. Not sure why this is the case.

I really can't think of any cons. There are 22 homes on my street, and 6 that are truly on the cul-de-sac. Homes on the cul-de-sac are considered very desirable. My kids learned to ride their bikes at the age of 4 because of living on a quiet dead end street, and they played in the cul-de-sac more than they played in our yard (which can be tricky, as the previous poster acknowledged).

Whenever we have a neighborhood gathering, it is always on the cul-de-sac, and always seems to be organized by someone on the cul-de-sac. Cul-de-sacs seem to promote a different kind of vibe which is very positive, and very different than a straight pass through street.

o

I recently sold a house at the end of a cul de sac and that location was what the buyers liked best about the house. We also had one some years ago. It was very, very nice and truly it is hard to come up with negatives. Did people turn around some? I guess, but really very rare. Much more are than cars driving by a house not on the cul de sac. By the time we were at the cul de sac our kids were not really the age to play in the street any more and there were no other kids near us so didn't see much playing in the street. At our house before that there was a short cul de sac near us and kids did tend to congregate there so maybe that is a negative. But still the positives are just way, way stronger than negatives. Cul de sac was always helpful on resale.

o

There's no street parking compared to a regular street, which can be a problem during the teen driving years or during social gatherings. The lots re also pie shaped, with much bigger backyards and smaller front yards than a regular street. That could be a minus or a plus, depending on whether you are a lawn nut or gardener, or hate the outdoors wholeheartedly. Because of the pie shaped lots, property line disputes are a bit more common yhan average because sometimes the boundary that exists seems visually "obvious" but isn't the case.

o

I have lived on a cul de sac for 30 years. Our street is one short block long. The turn around traffic is no problem because people can just drive around the circular sac to turn around. There is no need to pull into someone's driveway. The front yards are pie shaped and small, but the back yards are wide. Because the front yards are small pie shaped wedges, there is not as much parking space at the curb for guests. That is about the only problem.

o

The cons I have noticed living in one of the houses at the end of a cul de sac - enjoying the hugest back yard :) and very little yard work in front.

There is very little curb, meaning very little on-street parking.

I have no LEGAL place to put bulk trash for pickup - I went around several times with the city's trash supervisors because bulk trash is supposed to be at least X feet away from the water meter and X feet away from any utility box and X feet from any driveway. None of these things are far enough apart on our lot to leave any legal space.

o

Our previous house was on a cul de sac, but without any of the cons noted above. The lots were a normal shape, and we actually had lots of extra on-street parking, because we had mountain preserve across from us instead of other houses.

Our part of the world has quite a few cul de sacs where the houses don't go all round the end, thus allowing for extra parking.

o

"I'm wondering about the cons of an end of cul-du-sac lot. It seems like it would be nice; what negatives am I missing?"

Here is some 'food for thought' regarding how some asian people feel about cul-du-sac lots.

What To Do If You Live In A Cul-De-Sac

A link that might be useful:

www.wofs.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=46&task=view&id=460

o

I always really like living on a cul-de-sac. We used have the best block parties in the one I grew up on.

The only other possible con I can see is that cul-de-sacs are usually plowed last after a snow storm because priority is usually given to thru streets. That is true of the col-de-sac I live on now. That is actually kind of a big deal for my DH now after having gone through a couple of snows storms in the past 2 years where we got stuck in the house (because road wasn't plowed) with our power out.

o

Our trash truck has to make a 12-point turn (or so it seems) at the end our street, a small cul-de-sac. Poor driver. It's worse for every car someone has parked in there.
Difficult to turn around with a trailer, something our neighborhood does a lot with yard services and boats.

o

So many things I never would have thought of.

Thanks so very much!

o

While I don't necessarily live on the cul-de-sac, our large corner lot is on a very short street and the cul-de-sac is at the end of our backyard. Having young children, we've enjoyed having neighbors that are friendly and protective and are always on the lookout for anything that seems wrong. We're also fortunate to have very little traffic and street parking in our small neighborhood...leaving the children to have some extra enjoyment of the space the cul-de-sac provides for bike and scooter riding. I really love this aspect of our location and dread the day of living off the cul-de-sac.

o

The positives outweighed any negatives for us in our 'starter house' -- that we lived in for thirty years. lol

Our DS and his neighbor pals rode their big wheels around the traffic circle in our cul-de-sac. Neighborhood picnics were on the circle. Only people who belonged there drove into the street; you could see from the feeder cross street that there was no egress to another street. Backyards were larger than the norm. Ours backed to a churchyard so we only had two houses close to ours -- our next door neighbors.

The sole problem has already been mentioned: Snow plows got to us last. Our city finally bought some smaller trucks to plow circular runs.

o

I just moved 5 blocks to get on a cul de sac. Same subdivision, smaller front yard (good), very big back yard (better), little traffic (there are only 6 houses on the entire street), and strangely friendly neighbors--they all know each other really well.

We don't have snow and the garbage truck drivers seem pretty skilled. Street parking is probably a little tight, especially since 2 houses on the street are doing renovations and have contractor trucks out all the time. My father-in-law backed a trailer into my garage on the first try but I'll need more practice.

I grew up on a cul de sac and had no problems, even when we had 3 teenagers driving at once and my dad wouldn't let us park in the driveway, but every street is different. I've owned 2 corner lot houses and didn't like doing all the yardwork. I'd rather have the bulk of my yard in the back in case I don't have time to keep everything up one week. Corner lots can have the benefit of a side entrance garage which makes for a much nicer looking house. And extra snow shoveling. Been there done that!

o

Snow removal is likely to be slower since fewer people benefit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here