Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiemw

insurance company called & wants inspection done

susiemw
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not sure where this post should go, Please let me know if there is a better forum.

I bought my home 10 years ago. I got a call from someone who wanted to schedule an inspection of my home. He said my insurance company wants an
inspection of the outside of the building and the electrical and water heater.

I thought it was a little strange but I've never owned a home before.

I will call my insurance company to see if this is on the up and up. I suspect it is.

What can I expect?

I'm in the middle of having plumbing, flooring and electrical work done so I'm putting the guy off and hopefully all the work will be done before he comes and does the inspection.

Susan

Comments (15)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

And, do you have a permit for all the work you are doing? It sounds like the insurance company suspects something may be awry and they are trying to cover their assets.

• susiemw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suspect it's a coincidence.

And other than the new electrical panel (much needed upgrade) I don't need permits to change out the floor, the plumbing fixtures (no change to the pipes), flooring and putting up beadboard and new paint. All much needed cosmetic changes.

From what I've been reading online this isn't unheard of.

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

Our State Farm agent would do drive by's every few years, and we we received a letter because they happened to drive by when were were doing a kitchen remodel.

There was siding missing off one side of the house where we were changing a door to a window, and eliminating another window which caught their attention, as they though there was neglect.

So no, this is not unusual.

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

While not unheard of, they are required to notify you in writing first. Phone doesn't count.

If it were me, I'd not let anyone in my home without verified reason to be there. "Fire Inspection" scams are common. It could be someone casing your home for later crime, or even trying to get inside your home when you are alone and vulnerable.

I'd say verify this visit first. No insurance company would deny you such verification.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Sounds fishy to me. Verify.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Our insurance company did that too. They only wanted to walk around the outside which we allowed. It was on the up and up.

Jane

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Insurance wants home inspection

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

My new insurance provider does this annually and I pride myself for having a pretty neat, tidy place,no other company did it before unless a new policy or new residence. It is done the same week every year and my guy calls himself a Risk Assessment Agent, now that sounds like a serious occupation. He looks for code violations and smoke and CO detectors, fire extinguishers and the like. I actually had a slight reduction because I replaced all the shingles last year and for having more than 1 fire extinguisher. I did learn I need a railing around my deck because it is more than 24 inches from the ground, mine is 24.5". I didn't install one so they made me understand if someone fell and was injured they wouldn't cover the loss.

I certainly would want to speak to someone in the office before I let anyone into my place. Request it in writing is best.

Insurance companies have been doing drive byes for years, especially if they can see something not in compliance. I know of one out here that were demanding certain things be done within a certain timeline to continue coverage. Such as an obvious roof that was in need of repair and one gent told me all the scrap metal and cars needed to be moved away from the house.

If you are in compliance with your policy you have no need to worry. It's a great way to find out what your policy details are and where improvements for safety can be made.

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Thu, May 9, 13 at 2:18

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

"I would hire another insurance company if they demanded to inspect the inside of my home every year."

Me too!

And I agree with Tony2Toes. The request should be in writing. I would contact my agent if I just got a phone call.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

If I could get a better rate I might. It is a farmers mutual company where one must live in the county to get into. I have no problem with this, I'm sure some may find it intrusive, we don't. Last year I couldn't seem to be able to be there when Mark was available so I just left the door unlocked and asked him to lock it behind him when he was done. This year it was his last call and he brought Tim Horton's coffee and donuts and we talked fishing for an hour.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I got a call from someone who wanted to schedule an inspection of my home. He said my insurance company wants an
    inspection of the outside of the building and the electrical and w

DEFINITELY VERIFY with the insurance company that they will be sending an inspector, and get their name.

This could easily be one of the bogus 'city inspection" scams where they either case your house for future robberies or just let an accomplice in while you are distracted.

• two25acres
    10 years ago

Your homeowner's policy is more than likely set to renew within the next few months. Insurance companies are doing outside inspections at renewal. They are trying to weed out the bad risk and if you have an older policy they are attempting to confirm the cost of it's replacement. They are looking for loose gutters, rotting shingles, curled shingles, old roofs, leaks, tripping hazards, missing rails, loose gutters, trees hanging over the roofs/soffits and gutters. That's just some of what they look for. Homeowner's insurance has not been profitable and they are looking to reduce the risk. As a homeowner we should maintain our properties so that we don't have the small claims.
    You can shop if your not happy about it but I guarantee you 90 - 100% of the companies are doing the outside inspections. If there are issues, companies can terminate you after giving you the opportunity to repair the damages. They may also offer those with older roofs an actual cash value option for the roof. You have to realy read your policies today. I've been selling for 14 years and in our area, it's been tough due to high wind damage. Some companies will also seperate out the deductibles, it used to be standard in this are (midwest) for a single all peril deductible. Today, they are also instituting a wind/hail deductible because that is the biggest risk here. Many no longer offer earthquake coverage, the big Illinois companies have pulled that. We've had tremors here in southeast Wisconsin and for that reason I insure with a company I don't write for. I can't emphasize it enough, you get your homeowner's renewal annually, you owe it to yourself to review it with your agent and have a clear understanding of it.

• HU-419066058
    3 years ago

My insurance company of 40 years scheduled an inspection (inside and outside) with no prior notice. Since I had no heads up from the insurance company I ignored the phone call. They cancelled my insurance. The agent told me, "even after 40 years you don't get a free ride." Forty years of paying on time and no claims--they're the ones that got the free ride.

• Stax
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You should post this seven years ago. Also your insurance will have been in effect for 33 years at that time.

Back To The Future will still be available, also.