Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Removing Bath in Master Bath

kats_meow
9 years ago

We have been in our house for a couple of years. House is about 6 years old. We don't love our master bath and are thinking of redoing it. It currently has a corner tub, a walkin shower with a seat, separate toilet room and a long counter with dual sinks.

We literally never use our tub. We have a hot tub right outside our bedroom so if we want to soak sore muscles we use it. If we want to get clean, we use our shower. The shower is nice but I would love to have a really large shower. The only way we would have room for that is to get rid of the corner tub. I'm inclined to do it since the tub area now is totally wasted.

My only hesitation is whether this would significantly hurt the resale value of the house. We have no plans to sell this house (it is our retirement home), but you never know.

The house is a 1 story (about 2800 SF). It has 4 bedrooms and 2 other full bathrooms with tub/shower combos other than the master bath. So, even if we got rid of this shower we would have 2 other bathrooms with tubs (although we have considered converting one of the two to a large shower only since my 90 year old mother visits and finds it hard to use a shower that is in a tub).

We are in Texas in an acreage community. Our house is one of the less expensive houses in the subdivision. Not super expensive but well above the median house value.

Our options we are thinking about are:

1. Keep a tub in all 3 bathrooms.
2. Take tub out of master and put in large shower, leave tubs in others.
3. Take tub out of master and put in large shower, leave at least one tub in the house but could change one tub in the secondary bathrooms to a shower.

I am inclined to do 2 for now, but maybe do 3 at some point if my mother moves in. But,if I am making a big mistake in thinking about getting rid of the master tub that would cause me think differently. Again, we have no plans to sell now but you never know what will happen in future.

Comments (19)

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I would definitely NOT get rid of all 3 tubs. Is there a reason your mother could not use the second bedroom with the other shower re-do? I re-did our master bath and removed the bathtub, and though 99% of the time I'm glad I did, there's times I regret not having a tub there. I do know I use the tub for a lot of things other than taking a bath.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Sounds like 2 is your best option. You will be able to have the large shower you want and keep two other tubs. Can your mother use the new larger shower you envision?

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

I would do #2 for now. We are building, and have elected to build a large walk in shower in our Master bath and eliminate the tub. In our last house we had a large master bath with a large walk in shower, a huge corner tub with jets and two separate vanities. I swear we used that tub maybe twice a year. I didn't want to dedicate that amount of real estate to this master bath, so we aren't. It seems there is a trend right now to eliminate the master tub in favor of a larger shower so long as there is another tub in the house.
    Good luck with your reno.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I have an oversized jetted tub in our master and no shower. We've been here 18 months and I filled the tub and turned on the jets just to check it out last week for the first time. Fully clothed, I wasn't having a bath. Up till then, I had only rinsed dust from it with the hand sprayer when cleaning.

We've both been showering in the bath down the hall, no tub in that bathroom but a walk in shower. The third bathroom has a compact tub and shower combination.

I'd love to lose that big tub in the master and replace it with the shower we would use daily. That would leave the house without a full sized tub. My plumber says do what makes the house work for us and don't get confused with the 'somedays'....someday I might want to sell, someone else might appreciate that huge tub even though I don't.

What I've done is just over think it, and I haven't made up my mind. DH quickly got so he doesn't use the master bathroom at all, he shaves, showers in the bath attached to a guest room so it's really not making our best use of space in our house.

• alisonn
    9 years ago

I think showers are in. Years ago, no one would dream of taking out a tub, but I think over-sized showers are all the rage---especially if you have a bathtub elsewhere.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For now, we would definitely leave the tubs in the other 2 full baths. If my mother were to ever move in here (possible), then we might switch out one of those tubs to a large shower. But, even then we would still have 1 tub.

Does anyone think that taking the tub out of the master and putting in a large 2 person shower with dual showerheads would negatively affect resale value (I know there are some that it would be a dealbreaker for, but just trying to get an idea of whether it would be negative for many).

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

I don't think it will necessarily negatively influence resale value in the next 10 years. At least you know you will use the shower regularly (whether or not you make full use of it) so it's probably a better upgrade than most other trends.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have a large tub in the master bath and use it regularly. We also have tubs in the other bathrooms, but I have to say that I hate these teeny tiny tubs where knees or shoulders are sticking out because they are too shallow. So, yes, large showers are great, but I'd be careful leaving only one skimpy tub in the whole house.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

As long as there is at least one tub in the house, don't worry.

My neighbor the contractor had a nice sideline for a while, removing the tubs from master baths in the neighborhood and replacing them with big showers. It didn't hurt resale value at all.

• sas95
    9 years ago

There will always be someone for whom the lack of a tub in the master will be a deal breaker. But I would speculate that more people would prefer a nicer shower. Either way, as long as you have another tub in the house I don't think resale value will be affected.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Go for option #2 or maybe even #3 and don't look back or second guess yourself! This is our third house with a huge tub in the master and all combined we used the tubs maybe 4 times in 16 years.

In this house we are remodeling the master bath and will rip out the large tiled in Jacuzzi tub. I already have a large shower too, so the tub will be replaced with a freestanding soaking tub.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

I'd go with number 2 as well. Even as someone who loves long baths when I have the time, I wouldn't view the lack of a tub in the master bath as a problem as long as there is a decent bath elsewhere and the shower is really nice. Especially since you have no plans to sell, the benefits if having what works for you and something you will enjoy everyday is worth the (very) small risk of slightly reducing your potential buyer pool if you ever do sell.

Morz8, I think I would like your plumber!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

agree with the others; go for the big master shower, but leave the other tubs. At least one tub is a necessity for most families with small children, and can be used in other ways.

Just a thought: Since this is a retirement home for you and you may have a mother moving in with you, if and when you re-do the bathrooms, consider more accessible options, such as flat, no lip thresholds, sturdy grab bars, enough space for walkers and chairs in hallways and under sinks, etc.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I am seeing this in a lot of houses we've looked it. It is a deal breaker for me, but it must not be for most people b/c it is being done very commonly.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

I'd pay extra to not have one of those godawful corner tubs. You need at least one tub to wash the babies in, but shower only or walk-in shower plus a functional bathtub in the master is fine. From an aging in place perspective, having a walk-in shower is critical; tubs are bad news for old folks.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

We redid our 2nd bath in a previous home to make it safer for my dad. We removed the tub, the only one in the 3br/2ba home, and replaced it with a shower. We also tiled over the terrazzo with a non-slip tile. We sold the house last year and no tub was a non-issue. I would go with plan 3 and make the non-master bath accessible, especially since you plan to retire in this home..

• LittleChic
    9 years ago

As long as there is at least one bathtub ...somewhere, homes seem to sell and receive decent appraisals here. I think the large shower (2 person for the master bath) is the modern representation of candlelight and rose petals bath nights of long ago :) I say go for it!

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I love my large, oval tub in MB and a shower. I agree with nosoccermom--those little tubs are no good for me. When I redid the guest bath, I took out the tub and put in a very large walk in shower with rain shower head, wall shower heads and a handheld. I also had the faucet mounted on opposite wall of shower heads so that it can warm up before I step in.
    I use that for showering rather than my master shower except when we have house guests. It is a short walk down the hall and I would not be happy without a good sized tub in MB. It would be a deal breaker for me in buying my next house