Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seller query

Posted by meep-house (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 17:26

Do I face any legal liability if someone makes an offer on my house, but then for family reasons I don't accept the offer but instead take the house off the market? Does it make a difference if it's a full-price offer? It's in New York.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seller query

What is in writing? Just making an offer means very little, verbly, --was this thru a realtor?
But I have read that if it is a legimate family emergency you can pull the house off the market without a problem.

o

An offer is not even close to being a contract.
And a verbally accepted offer is not enforcable.
Happens all of the time.
Just happened to y client today... my Seller had a verbally accepted contract. The "buyer" got cold feet, and refused to sign.
Back on the market we go.

o

Depending on your agreement with your listing agent, you may owe commission if a full-price offer was made on your house that you did not accept.

o

what c9pilot says.

& that's just your liability to the broker;
if the buyer made a full-price offer, he/she/they may have legal rights, too.

o

Your broker could sue for commission because you hired him to find you a ready, willing and able buyer and that was done. This is only if its a full price offer, anything lower would get you off the hook. Your buyer most likely wouldnt be able to force the sale since you dont have a signed contract on just the offer. (*NY)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here